Anyone using ATO VFDs ?

maxime.levesque

Registered
Registered
I'm considering getting a "cheap-azz" VFD, and I've narrowed down my search to 2 manufacturers, I've skimmed over manuals to get an idea of the feature sets, and to get a sense of their quality.

Of course, there's only so much you can learn of infer from a manual, but I find that manuals give a good idea of the feature set, configurability and a good impression of the software quality, which tends to correlate with the quality of the hardware underneath.

I found that the ATO manual for the GK3000 series inspires confidence.

https://www.ato.com/Content/doc/gk3000-variable-frequency-drive-user-manual.pdf

I also skimmed over the HuanYang manual for the GT series, and the first thing that struck me, is that HuanYang doesn't even seem to have a site with a page for downloading manuals, FAQs, firmware updates, etc.

It seems that the concept of versioning, release cycles, is an inexistant concept, not a good sign.

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2018/08/GT-series-manual.pdf

On the other hand, HuanYang, seems to have the largest user base among the "cheap-azz" brands, understandably in the DiY / Hobbyist community.

They have plenty of bad critics, but also plenty of "has been working for me so far" kind of comments. Also, a lot of the bad critiques are quite old, sometimes 10 years ago, and they might have had the time to improve things.

If it were not for community size, ATO would seems like the more serious manufacturer of VFDs, they are a bit more expensive, but still much less than "western" brands.

I am tempted to try them out, but was wondering if happy (or unhappy) users would comment on their experience.

I have a Huan Yang on my surface grinder. So far it has worked fine. They do have a YouTube on how to hook up their VFD that was helpful. I have come to the conclusion that anytime you buy Chinese you roll the dice. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose.

I'm considering getting a "cheap-azz" VFD, and I've narrowed down my search to 2 manufacturers, I've skimmed over manuals to get an idea of the feature sets, and to get a sense of their quality.

Of course, there's only so much you can learn of infer from a manual, but I find that manuals give a good idea of the feature set, configurability and a good impression of the software quality, which tends to correlate with the quality of the hardware underneath.

I also skimmed over the HuanYang manual for the GT series, and the first thing that struck me, is that HuanYang doesn't even seem to have a site with a page for downloading manuals, FAQs, firmware updates, etc.

It seems that the concept of versioning, release cycles, is an inexistant concept, not a good sign.

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2018/08/GT-series-manual.pdf

On the other hand, HuanYang, seems to have the largest user base among the "cheap-azz" brands, understandably in the DiY / Hobbyist community.

They have plenty of bad critics, but also plenty of "has been working for me so far" kind of comments. Also, a lot of the bad critiques are quite old, sometimes 10 years ago, and they might have had the time to improve things.

If it were not for community size, ATO would seems like the more serious manufacturer of VFDs, they are a bit more expensive, but still much less than "western" brands.

I am tempted to try them out, but was wondering if happy (or unhappy) users would comment on their experience.
I bought a huanyang but returned it because it didnt accept a brake resistor which you will use. For a 3 hp the automation direct model is $60 more and accepts a brake resistor, has superior documentation and also you can get in touch with them and a technician will reply with real help( I know because I had a little trouble figuring how to get the potentiometer connected properly.) Also have a hitachi which is excellent.

I bought a huanyang but returned it because it didnt accept a brake resistor which you will use. For a 3 hp the automation direct model is $60 more and accepts a brake resistor, has superior documentation and also you can get in touch with them and a technician will reply with real help( I know because I had a little trouble figuring how to get the potentiometer connected properly.) Also have a hitachi which is excellent.
Mine accepts a resistor, but it doesn't need it, unless you have a big motor.

funny, hy does have manuals online.
Here's one I got from their site...

edit: ok, they seem to have removed it from their site.. not sure why..
Try this for manuals: https://www.nvcnc.net/huanyang-vfd.html

Attachments

• HY-0.75kW2.2kW-.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
i run a bunch of cheap VFD's of different manufacturers in real life operation.
i do this against the dire consequence warnings against their use for any purpose, from many doomsayers.
i use them with and without VFD rated motors , old motor design and new.
i have done so without consequence- don't believe the naysayers

The DuraPulse from Automation Direct looks great (the features, manual, etc), but to run a 5HP motor, if you are on single phase, you need the 10HP model (according to Automation Direct site) which is twice the price of a HuanYang 5HP.

I read somewhere that DuraPulse is made by Delta, and also read that HuanYang is a copy of Delta. I don't mind getting copies, as long as they do a good job at copying !

Apparently, HuanYang VFDs comes in 2 versions, one that accepts (and takes advantage of) a break resistor, and one that does nothing with the break resistor.

In this video from HuanYang, says to "contact seller" to get the option, if a breaking resistor is needed:

On HuanYang Amazon page, on the 4kw unit, it says:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: this VFD is ONLY applicable to three phase asynchronous motor and NOT support external resistor(this functions need to be customized). If your motor is heavy load, pls contact sales for model selection suggestion."

The problem is the scAmazon site does not have a "contact the seller" feature. You can only "talk" to the seller by filling a drop down menu, that are pre filled with fixed answers "I want to return the item", "update on order"....
I have found no way to send an actual text message....

Mine accepts a resistor, but it doesn't need it, unless you have a big motor.

funny, hy does have manuals online.
Here's one I got from their site...

edit: ok, they seem to have removed it from their site.. not sure why..
Try this for manuals: https://www.nvcnc.net/huanyang-vfd.html

I can't tell you anything about ATO but I can tell you about what I always buy when an extra-cheap VFD is called for: DuraPulse.

DuraPulse 3hp single phase input $198 and free 2-day shipping:

ATO 3hp single phase input $238 (website won't show me the shipping cost to my address or the total with tax and shipping until after I enter my credit card info!):

AutomationDirect is a reputable vendor that has good technical support, free shipping, and decent quality products. Their niche is in selling the cheapest automation products possible that aren't actual trash. That's a pretty fine line and they know right where it is and don't cross it.

The DuraPulse drives are solid but the software sucks. Everything I do, I do from a laptop, so this is a problem for me. If you're going to be punching the parameters into the keypad on the front of the drive then you have nothing to worry about. The manual is "just ok" as far as manuals for quality products go, which is to say it wipes its butt with 8-page chinglish manuals from hyangyangdong and Amazon VFDs.

DuraPulse was my 1st choice, but for a 5hp fed with single phase input, it was more than 2x the price of a HuanYang, so I decided to roll the dice and ordered a HuanYang.

The "community size" (number of users out there) was probably the main factor that gave me enough confidence take the risk. Of course it's a hobbyist/DiY communuty, but it turns out I am a hobbyist, which means I can afford some time time to tinker, troubleshoot, etc., and there won't be any impatient customers to get angry for the downtime !

I can't tell you anything about ATO but I can tell you about what I always buy when an extra-cheap VFD is called for: DuraPulse.

DuraPulse 3hp single phase input $198 and free 2-day shipping:

ATO 3hp single phase input $238 (website won't show me the shipping cost to my address or the total with tax and shipping until after I enter my credit card info!):

AutomationDirect is a reputable vendor that has good technical support, free shipping, and decent quality products. Their niche is in selling the cheapest automation products possible that aren't actual trash. That's a pretty fine line and they know right where it is and don't cross it.

The DuraPulse drives are solid but the software sucks. Everything I do, I do from a laptop, so this is a problem for me. If you're going to be punching the parameters into the keypad on the front of the drive then you have nothing to worry about. The manual is "just ok" as far as manuals for quality products go, which is to say it wipes its butt with 8-page chinglish manuals from hyangyangdong and Amazon VFDs.

Back