Anyone use MT3 Collets?

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I was looking at a small Grizzly mill that has a 3MT spindle. My lathe came with a 5MT - 3MT sleeve. It would be nice to have one set of collets that can be used in both machines. I've only used 5c collets in the past and just found out 3MT collets even existed. Are there any other draw backs besides the pass thru limitation and the max size of 3/4 inch?

You've got the drawbacks right on, An ER-40 setup would give max size and pass through on your lathe only downside is price. If you got the 3mt collets and they work for what you need save your money for something you do need.

You've got the drawbacks right on, An ER-40 setup would give max size and pass through on your lathe only downside is price. If you got the 3mt collets and they work for what you need save your money for something you do need.
I don't have any collets at all yet but I just spent 4 grand on a lathe, indicators, bits, ect and I'm trying manage a budget which now exists only in the bank account of Grizzly.com. Don't know squat about ER40 collets either but I assume they have to go in some sort of chuck and not a drawbar? The pics I see of the ER40 holders all seem to have a taper more aggressive than MT or is that just an illusion from the angle of the photo?

You will need a holder for your mill and a collet chuck for your lathe and the collets

I use a 0.75" MT3 collet for several specific parts that don't require any through hole. You don't need a chuck if the headstock is MT3.

I use MT3 collets , but only for my mil to hold tooling. The lack of pass through would not work for most of the stuff I do on the lathe.

Look at 5C or ER40 first before deciding

Bit the bullet and ordered a 5MT-5C collet adaptor for my spindle and a drawbar from Grizzly. The stuff came off the parts list for their lever operated closer.

Bit the bullet and ordered a 5MT-5C collet adaptor for my spindle and a drawbar from Grizzly. The stuff came off the parts list for their lever operated closer.
Hi
Does Grizzly have a LEVER-OPERATED 5MT 5C COLLET CLOSER ???
Am looking for one for my new lathe.
There was an Aussie ad we saw some time back. Just can't seem to trace that one. It was for a 5 MT
Do send us a link if U still have.
Thanks in advance
aRM

Back