Anyone out there with a PM-1440-2SM-V

Gersh42

Registered
Registered
Hello, this is my first post!

I have been watching and fascinated with the world of machining for many years now, I'm finally in a position in life to buy my first pieces of equipment. I have put a deposit down on a PM-1440 2SM-V and a PM-940V. Speaking with PM they have been R&D this new model for some time now and have had good success. They also mentioned that they have had customers take delivery of this new model. I have tried searching the site and internet and cant find any customer or end user feedback. I was hoping to find someone on here that could share their opinion and experience with the 1440-2SM-V. I would love to see any pictures you have!

Disclaimer: I will NOT be doing any gunsmithing work. I had originally ordered the 1440BV but when I came across the 2SM-V I decided to "upgrade" my order. The main reason this the new model states "Heavier duty, taller cast iron base" being 6'4 tall having all my equipment or work surface up as high as possible is very important to me.

Thank you for the help!

The original 1440GS had a lot going for it, but had quite a few quality issues, and my understanding is that PM/QMT spent quite a bit of time/resources in have it redesigned and improved. I always felt that the 1440GS would have been ideal lathe model to have it available in a VFD version, with improved QC of this lathe it would be a great lathe that fits a big gap in the market. To get this level of features in a Taiwanese lathe you would be looking at another 5-6K in price and that is doing your own VFD install. I trust PM/QMT to stand by their warranty on their machines, but you need to acknowledge that there will always be fit and finish issues at the lower price level of the mainland China vs. Taiwanese machines when comparing them to similar models.

At the price level, in particular in the current market/Tariffs, the PM-1440-2SM-V offers a lot of bang for the buck, and comes with an adjustable 3J and a 4J independent. Assuming the QC has been addressed, I would recommend going with this VFD model. As far as the height, you may still need to raise the lathe, there are a lot of simple solutions in other posts on what others have done. Typically getting some 2x4 box rectangular steel bolted to the cabinet base and welding in some thread sections outboard with S&W leveling mounts (solid threaded feet) will give you another 3-4" in height.

Thank you for the response, I do have my expectations inline when it come to the fit and finish (being a perfectionist, that was a really hard thing to say hah). As long as the quality of performance is there I will be a happy camper. So far the customer service at PM has been outstanding and I would have to think with the presence and customer base they have they would need to keep their good reputation intact.

I definitely have plans to build a base for the 940V maybe a 6 in base with some leveling feet, I think having the table about 42" would be perfect. Ill look into some leveling feet for the lathe maybe Ill get another 2-3 inches with just feet.

I am very new in this machinist world. I hope you guys can help me out. I am looking PM1440gt vs PM1440-2sm. GT ais made in taiwan but -2sm. My question: Per PM Rep / Tech said -2SM has no runout and it is as good as GT. Is that true?

I am very new in this machinist world. I hope you guys can help me out. I am looking PM1440gt vs PM1440-2sm. GT ais made in taiwan but -2sm. My question: Per PM Rep / Tech said -2SM has no runout and it is as good as GT. Is that true?
No. I have had both. There is a reason the GT costs more and it is worth it.

I have put a deposit down on a PM-1440 2SM-V and a PM-940V.

No. I have had both. There is a reason the GT costs more and it is worth it.

I have the PM1440GT. It is a good machine. I also have a PM940M-CNC-VS (sold for only a short period of time). While it is big and heavy it is made in China and is not of the same quality, nor quality control as the Taiwan machine. Others have reported better luck with the 940M-V than I have with my 940M, so I tend to think the main issue with many of the Chinese machines is the QC, and this implies the over all quality is the luck of the draw! This means you will have to keep your fingers crossed with the Chinese machines. But if you get one that was built on a bad day at the factory then good luck with all of your efforts.

My question: Per PM Rep / Tech said -2SM has no runout and it is as good as GT. Is that true?
"no runout" Is this a joke or was it stated with a wink! I find the PM folks to be pretty good, so I hope this is your rephrase of what the PM Rep may have actually said.

If you are price constrained, but can get by with a slightly smaller machine I would get the PM1340GT (Taiwan). A lot of HM folks have this machine and seem to be very happy with it.

Last edited:
Back