Anyone mounted a bench mill on a job box like this?

tominboise

Registered
Registered
Job box

Local has this on CL, and I thought it might make a decent box to mount a bench mill on. Take the castors off and put it on some square steel blocks. And perhaps add a piece of heavier steel to the top to bolt in together.

Nice box...

Should be strong enough, just need to come up with a way for it to not move while the mill is in use. Easiest would be a couple of 4x4's and a floor jack.

Could also use something like this.

John

edit: Sorry, I just realized you already thought of how to make it stationary. But if it needed to be mobile, suggestions above.

My mill/drill is on wheels and it doesn't seem to move around in use. Two of the wheels are fixed and two can rotate. Don't know if that keeps it from moving.
My only thought on the stand pictured is it's size if space is an issue.

How high is the top on the jobbox? That’s the first one I’ve ever seen with doors on the front. That’s close to the area of the all welded stand my mill/drill is on and I love having that amount of area around it for tools etc.

My mill/drill is also on castors. It doesn’t move while in use and is super handy if I need to clean behind it. It is pretty tough to move as the mill is close to 700lbs. There has been several times where I moved it out to the middle of the shop for large projects and for access while I worked on it. There is only stationary machine in my shop and that’s my lathe. But I don’t have anything industrial size.

It's 37-1/2" tall. I went ahead and bought it today. Also picked up some tooling the guy had while I was there. Now I need to get the mill on order and start the count down.

Back