Anyone Know About Friction Welding? AKA Making a New Vise Screw

I wonder if an magnetic clutch as used in an automotive a/c unit might have enough holding torque for an instant release mechanism.
RJ that's a great idea for setting up for a production run. But for a one-off part, I think the time investment alone in making it work would be significant. I was thinking of a chuck mounted to a live center held by a pin resting on another pin held in the toolholder Thus a quick turn of the traverse wheel would disengage it.

I'm wondering if doing some auxiliary heating with a torch might help the process along. Even a decent propane torch might help a lot.

I'm wondering if doing some auxiliary heating with a torch might help the process along. Even a decent propane torch might help a lot.
I was thinking about that but after trying the process it seems to heat up pretty quickly. Though when I try welding it to the hub it may be a different story with the parts being of different mass. I that case additional heat might be necessary.

Update:
I screwed up, I literally screwed up. I ordered the wrong thread pitch! somehow I had it stuck in my head that it was a ⅞"5 tpi lead screw not sure how I came to that conclusion but it was set, a couple of years ago, when I first started this project, did I double check, no, did I even measure it, I don't remember. I just ordered it... it actually is a ⅞" 4 tip thread. Anyway, the worst thing is that thread doesn't seem to exist in the acme screw world so now I'm faced with making it from scratch, which I will, eventually.
in the meantime I painted the vise and put it back together. I figure with about 2" of thread in the nut the screw has plenty of engagement and the eroded threads shouldn't cause too much damage till I have the time to make a new screw.
I even made a new end cap from aluminum.

Attachments

• v10.jpeg
    v10.jpeg
    609.8 KB · Views: 13
  • v9.jpeg
    v9.jpeg
    614.4 KB · Views: 13
  • v8.jpeg
    v8.jpeg
    531.5 KB · Views: 12
  • v7.jpeg
    v7.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 12
  • v6.jpeg
    v6.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 9
  • v5.jpeg
    v5.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 9
  • v4.jpeg
    v4.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 10
  • v3.jpeg
    v3.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 10
  • v2.jpeg
    v2.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 10
  • v1.jpeg
    v1.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 13
I believe that Tom Lipton , aka OxTools, made a miniature bullet vise from scratch several tears back. Perhaps you might find some useful information in his videos.

Not sure what's in the vise: is the casting threaded or is there a nut? If there's a nut:
  • Odds are that it's as damaged as the screw and could stand being replaced too.
  • It would probably be just as easy to make as the screw.
  • Going from 4 TPI to 5TPI should give you more clamping force for the same torque applied.

Hey Ed . FWIW . We stripped the threads out of our very large Starrett vise in at work today ! :grin: Pulled the Acme stud out and had a perfect spiral chip that was left of the piece inside . Just thought you would get a laugh out of this . On the other hand , we'll check out the $$$ for a replacement piece or have to buy a new vise . I'm going to advise them to give it to the scrap man ............................................which is me . :grin:

Back