Anyone Good With Leds?

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
I was bored this evening, so i decided to take apart one of the famous Ikea led lights. I got to thinking about replacing the 70 lumen 3000k LED with a 6500k one. Anyone know much about LEDs, or where I might buy a replacement, preferably the entire board?

P1010179.jpg

P1010180.jpg

All of the components on the circuit board are likely to be just barely capable of powering the original LED. I doubt it will be reliable with a larger one. I found a couple of new LED products at Lowes that seem useful for both home and shop.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-5-i...ight-with-80-CRI-3000K-SLD606830WHR/204732243

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...e-LED-Linkable-Strip-Light-54263141/206028921

these are just examples. I found several similar options at both Lowes and Home Depot. The prices were cheaper in store for some reason.

The 3000 v 6500 is the "color temperature", or some see it as "warmth" of the color. Some LEDs emit a fairly white/blue whereas some are more yellow like the sun's natural color. It has nothing to do with power really. The 70 Lumen spec is directly related to the amount of light emitted and other than efficiency, that is the real factor in determining power requirements. You could put smaller (Lumen rating) LEds in that fixture by replacing them on that board without too much risk, but not likely much higher rating LEDs. You will notice some active components on that board. Those are designed to regulate both the voltage and the current that drives the LEDs. I would imagine there is very little overhead in the circuit design and construction, like John said. But if all you wanted to do is change the color, but stay with the 70 Lumen output, you should be able to get away with that.

I have purchased LED's from LED Supply, Environmental Lighting, and Future Electronics.

The LED pictured is most likely mounted on a insulated metal substrate for heat sinking, using surface mount techniques. Without proper equipment, it is difficult to replace such an LED. You have an active driver which is capable of driving a 1 watt LED (400ma max rating) The supplied current is determined by an external resistor so a higher power LED will work; you just can't supply more current without a resistor change. The datasheet for the CYT7136 doesn't give a curve for the current adjustment but I suspect that resistor R1 adjusts the current. Depending upon the age of your module, it is quite likely that a swap of a current vintage LED will provide more output as the efficiency of white LED's has risen from about 40 lumens/watt ten years ago to 140 lumens/watt now.

Depending on the size, you may be able to find a module that would be a drop in replacement.

The LED pictured is most likely mounted on a insulated metal substrate for heat sinking, using surface mount techniques. Without proper equipment, it is difficult to replace such an LED.
I'm definitely not that ambitious, i was thinking more along the lines of using the existing wall plug, and then purchasing a mounted led, and the components needed to make it work.

I was thinking something like this CREEXTE-W130
http://www.ledsupply.com/leds/cree-xlamp-xt-e-white-leds
[/QUOTE]

I'm just blanking on what I need to do to properly mate it up with the wall plug, because it's been about 15 years (college) since i've worked with any DC electronics.

Back