Anyone Getting Much Shop Time Lately?

This past weekend was long weekend for us Canucks.
I spent Saturday and Sunday doing yard stuff but today was all shop.
Got the table built for my CNC router build and prepped the forks from my NT650 for a rebuild.
a3c1d9d5ca07e23ec863c8e1c79a4946.jpg

9fd50aedb6e9bb64f939050915b49147.jpg

I finally got some paying work to do in the shop, its more metal fab than machining, but I'm happy to get it.

Since early March I can count the number of minutes spent in the shop on one hand
Now that school is letting out in 2 weeks there will be way more time to work out in the garage and when I come home I go and use my tools for about 3 hours. now I have a job that needs done in a few weeks and it 24 long, small diameter parts so hard to do.

One hour per weekday and a few hours on the weekend. About the same as always. Not any machining, but a lot of setting up shop, rearranging, woodwork, blah, blah. I think it's called piddling actually.

Yup, I got a hour in the shop last night because it was raining, other than that the only time I go in is to get tools to work on stuff around the house. When the weather turns cooler and the nights get longer it will be shop season again.

I've spent about 3 hours each day working on a boring bar riser and holder and that takes lots of guess work !

Every day after work, and most of my days off have been out in the shop.

Converting both lathe and mill to 3 phase / VFD power using a Siemens motor for the lathe and Helmke motor for the mill, complete with new control panels for each.
Both motors got a new set of FAG bearings and new seals.

The lathe motor housing had to be machined and mounting brackets fabricated. A challenge, but not too difficult.

The mill motor was a pain in the butt. Adapting the 100l b5 flange to fit my PM935 involved several hours Tig welding the cast aluminum flange to build up enough metal that I could machine and drill/tap the appropriate screw pattern. Tig welding cast aluminum sucks by the way.

I'm never one to do things the simple, easy or cheap way. The control panels were fabricated from 1/8" aluminum plate, cnc milled, blasted, cerakoted and engraved. They needed fairly substantial wiring harnesses be built, to get all of the features that I wanted. Tachometers, power LEDs, Estops, potentiometers, relays and contactors.

Of course, the 100l frame designation on the original PM motor nameplate means jack squat. Nothing on it was even close to 100l spec. 100l uses a 28mm shaft, and the PM motor has a 22mm shaft. That meant boring the PM pulley to 28mm on the lathe, and broaching a new keyway using the motorless mill with a boring bar and a 1/4" hss cutter. That worked better than I expected.

Everything is coming together quite well though. The lathe is finished, and the mill is only lacking the VFD input terminal connections and final testing. I should have everything wrapped up by Monday.

The Siemens 3 phase motor made a stunning difference in the lathes overall performance. Significantly more than what I expected. The surface finish is better on everything, and on many materials several times better. Vibration and noise are about a third their previous amount.

I'm not sure how much of the improvement can be attributed to the 3 phase power vs the quality difference between the Chinese motor and the German motor, but the difference is drastic.

I'm hoping the German Helmke motor gives me a similar improvement on the mill, but I'm doubtful. The Taiwanese single phase PM motor was quite good.

Last edited:
I'm behind on shop time. Friends coming this weekend for memorial day weekend, which means getting some firewood cut, mowing at least part of the pasture. Some remodeling on the house, with too much time in the crawl space under the house replacing plumbing (polybutylene). Working on fencing. Trip out of town next week. Just lots of little things, but I prefer to do as much outdoor work as I can in Spring and Fall, the mid-summer temps will be much less friendly, or much more conducive to shop time.

I did get the base of what will be a new workshop rough leveled. It'll have some time to settle, by which time I'm hoping lumber prices come down some. I doubt we'll see $2 for 2x4's again, but I'd be delighted to go from $8 to $5.

The K&T mill runs, so I *really* want to put that through it's paces to get comfortable with it. Work on the 10EE has completely stalled. The big 2516 lathe needs the QCGB remoted and apron hung.

If I worked that hard when I wasn't at work, I'd have to quit one or the other.

I glued four 1x6's together yesterday, and today I took off the clamps.

Back