Anyone Fix Old Ames Indicators On Here?

Mark
M.R. Tool repair
815-307-3302
mrtool2010@hotmail.com
avg cost $10 with shipping on mine,10 tools 2 of them AMES big face .0001 reading excellent service( a mix of DTI's and calipers.)

Thanks fellas, I'm not going to attempt anything myself I'll save that for China junk. However, I may e-mail this "mr.tool" fellow. Sounds like he may be fair. I don't mind spending a couple bucks but if it's going to be expensive, I might as well buy new ones. Sorry I can't post pictures at the moment. I'm in Illinois working a nuke for the next few weeks.

Hello, can you post pictures of your indicators, both front and back views. I have a couple old Ames that
I keep for parts donors and they may be similar to yours.
regards, Darryl Dodge

One of my other hobbies is watch repair and I have cleaned several Starrett indicators. All personal stuff. They do have to be cleaned and lubed with the correct oils or they get gummed up. Now there are synthetic watch oils that should end all that.

Post some photos with a scale alongside.

Sorry guys, like I posted earlier, I'm in Illinois for the next few weeks working a nuke outage. I don't have pictures. But thank you for the interest. Perhaps when I get home.

I have several one inch travel Ames indicators. Mine needed a clean up and a bit of Nye's clock oil and they work great.
They are well built and sturdy units and are quite large, about 3 inch diameter so easy to see and use, definitely treasures
rather than throw away units.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know of a place that I can buy the tiny screws that hold the back on a dial indicator? I bought an Enco 2" travel gauge on Ebay and it only had 3 screws holding the back to the gauge.

Jim T.

Back