Anyone Fix Old Ames Indicators On Here?

Finster

Registered
Registered
I have two old Ames indicators that I picked up. Both are very heavy for there size and appear well made. They are oldies, no doubt. Both creep and don't return to zero "often" :rolleyes:. I played with one of them a little but I'm afraid to really get into it since I'm clueless. Anyone on here play with them and can possibly fix them? Maybe they are just throwaways? One is an old "88" and the other is a "284".

I have two old Ames indicators that I picked up. Both are very heavy for there size and appear well made. They are oldies, no doubt. Both creep and don't return to zero "often" :rolleyes:. I played with one of them a little but I'm afraid to really get into it since I'm clueless. Anyone on here play with them and can possibly fix them? Maybe they are just throwaways? One is an old "88" and the other is a "284".
I've revived a couple of indicators but never an Ames. How much do you want for them?

I've revived a couple of indicators but never an Ames. How much do you want for them?
I'm not selling them. At least not yet. I would like to get them fixed. Trouble is that what a repair shop want's to fix one, I can buy new ones. That's why I'm wondering if anyone on here knows what they are doing and would take a look for a reasonable price.

I'm not selling them. At least not yet. I would like to get them fixed. Trouble is that what a repair shop want's to fix one, I can buy new ones. That's why I'm wondering if anyone on here knows what they are doing and would take a look for a reasonable price.
I don't think I'm up for repairing instruments belonging to someone else. Not experienced enough.

Ames are high end indicators. They are NOT throwaways, that's for sure. Get some alcohol and clean the stems well. Often residue will build up on them and make then a little sticky. If you can find a cooperative watch shop, they probably just need a good cleaning like a pocket watch.

:beer bottles:
Get some alcohol and clean the stems well

Tony , after the alcohol I always forgot what I was suppose to do ! Ohh .......nevermind , that was taken ot of context . LOL

The dial indicators are not really that hard to fix. I have done a few different ones.
Most just need a good cleaning and maybe a new spring.

In my experience dial indicators are the easiest to get working again (provided you don't need to replace anything) by following a couple basic steps.

Buy a cheap hand puller (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watch-Unive...000278?hash=item4637a0de56:g:SpYAAOSw7aBVG2y0)

The puller will pull the pointers straight off without risk of bending the pinion or messing up the face with screwdrivers. If you break the shaft off of an old indicator you might as well trash it for lack of repair parts.

There will be a plunger return spring somewhere. If your indicator has a removable back take it off and you should see the spring. unhook it.

Once you've got the dial removed from the body and ultrasonically cleaned all the parts it's time to put it back together. The mainspring needs to be partially wound to provide tension on the rack. I put the pointer back on the pinion loosely and watch the mainspring get smaller as I give the pointer about 6 revolutions. If the mainspring coil gets larger, you went the wrong way. Keep your finger behind the pointer to keep the mainspring from unwinding while you put the gearing back into the housing with the pinion gear against the rack. Put the screws back in snugged and the pointer should not move when you remove your finger. Reattach the return spring and work the plunger. Listen for grinding noises from the gear interface if it sounds good tighten the screws, if it sounds bad loosen the screws and rotate the works slightly away from the rack and listen again. Don't oil anything.

The details above work well for a standard Mitutoyo style dial indicator and most other indicators I've worked on over the last 10 years. It does not apply to fully cased indicators like ones made by Mahr where the back is not removable. Those can be beasts to figure out the first time you open one.

Lets say you got it back together without finding extra parts. You need to check the indicator against a standard throughout its whole range in both directions for calibration. That's a whole other topic.

Last edited:
Back