Anyone Familiar With A Hobart Porta Thaw Pipe Thawing Machine?

My ThermalArc Tig gives 14-18V as specs and the Miller 110V mig says 18-21V.

Welding requires voltage and amperage;
"A transformer-style welding power supply converts the moderate voltage and moderate current electricity from the utility mains (typically 230 or 115 VAC) into a high current and low voltage supply, typically between 17 and 45 (open-circuit) volts and 55 to 590 amperes." from Wikipedia' definition for a welding power supply.

Last edited:
Maybe a spot welder or resistance soldering unit would be a better re-purpose.

I just picked up a Hobart porta thaw pipe thawing machine for 15$. The guy said it was going to be scrapped if he had to load it back in his truck. I only bought it because I figured it might be possible to use it for arc welding. I tried to google it for a manual but couldn't find any information at all. About all I found were some old adds from the 60s selling them. So anybody ever have one or know anything about them.

If it works, they're going for between $200 and $2,120 used on eBay. Sell it to a plumber and buy a welder. Hobart is pricy stuff (at least in kitchen machines) so it should get top dollar.
http://tinyurl.com/z57ms4j Link to eBay listings tonight. It's a treasure. Good buy!

Or keep it and charge $300 a thaw (or whatever is usual) to local frozen pipe owners this winter. I could have used one 5 years ago when it stayed at 5F for 4 days. Instead, I put my milkhouse heater under the house for 5 hours, gave up, but the water started flowing 6 hours later.

You'd likely have to add lots of control and pattern circuitry to make a decent welder out of it, if the xfmr can be used for that, so I doubt 'er.

Yeah looks like ill try to sell it. Then I can get a real welder. I don't really have time to mess around with it and end up with a questionable welder. I do like the idea of thawing pipes as a side job but, seems like there could be some liability with fires. Thanks for your help.

Back