Anyone else use fluid film?

JeepsAndGuns

Active User
Registered
I have been using this stuff for years. I was first turned onto this stuff where I work (john deere service tech). We swear by it there. We use it to lube about anything that needs/can use a spray lube.
I use it on my jeeps, its a great assembly lube for oil seals and rubber parts (especially o-rings) I spray it on bare metal parts I do not want to rust. I have a a axle torn down right now in my shop and I sprayed down the spindles like 2-3 years ago and its still there, still slick and still no rust. My shop is not temp or humidity controlled.
When I first bought my smithy, there was a few spots on it where they previous owner never really wiped it down with oil and started rusing. I sprayed on the fluid film and worked it in with some fine scotch brite pads and it cleaned it right off. I use a rag sprayed down with it to clean and wipe down my machine after every use. Its in the same shop that is not temp or humidity controlled. I have yet to have any rust.
I goofed up one time and left some cleaned and bare transmission gears settin on the workbench and came back a couple days later to find a light dusting of rust because of the humidy. I quickly sprayed them down with this stuff. It helped clean the rust off and stopped any more from forming.
I reccomend if anyone has the chance, pick up a can and give it a try. Also interested to see if anyone else uses it. Google it and you will find all kinds of info on it.
http://www.fluid-film.com/

I've never seen that stuff this side of the atlantic, i've been using boeings boeshield for a good while and found it good if a little pricey, i've recently switched to lano-protect(liquid lanolin spray) and find it excellent and at about a fifth of the cost of boeshield, the storebro i'm restoring is getting a liberal coat of the stuff

Yes sir I do. It was marketed heavy to the green industry so it's no wonder you use it with JD. I was doing some digging a few weeks ago at the testing it has been through. It was designed for the US military and has been deemed the hands down best protectant for our ships. And is actually the only approved corrosive coating approved to protect our nukes. It has a very long list of test from all kinda folks.

I just started using about a year ago it works great but terrible smell guess I can live with the smell though. O'reilly auto parts sells it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how well it would work to protect machinery from flood coolant. The flood coolant has corrosion inhibitors in it but its not 100 percent. I gotta buy some to give it a try.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Not sure about the coolant. Never used any on my machine, but I would say its worth a try. A can is not too expensive. If nothing else it will do a good job protecting the metal after its cleaned off.

I actually think the smell is not that bad. I have smelled much much worse. Its not over powerfull like pb blaster or simillar, and also doesnt linger around forever. You might notice the smell for a day or two, then it fades.

Anyone have any information about removal in case you want to paint or powder coat the item you protected using this? Any directions on the label? I can research it but, just wondering if anyone is familiar.
I have been doing some powder coating and after cleaning and blasting a part, the bare surface can rust and lubricants left on the part do not make for good adhesion of paint or powder. Always looking for something easy to use.
Thanks,
Paul

As the landsharrk says, this is basically a lanolin spray ie sheeps fat in a solvent propellant. People have probably been using it as a protectant and lubricant for thousands of years. There will be technically better products about depending on what you are trying to do but if you don't mind the smell it's got to be a pretty green product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any information about removal in case you want to paint or powder coat the item you protected using this? Any directions on the label? I can research it but, just wondering if anyone is familiar.
I have been doing some powder coating and after cleaning and blasting a part, the bare surface can rust and lubricants left on the part do not make for good adhesion of paint or powder. Always looking for something easy to use.
Thanks,
Paul

Carb cleaner works great. Thats what I use.

Thanks,
Paul

There's some info on their website. Their emphasis seems to be on the ag industry, so they seem to assume the user has pressure washing equipment, their first recommendation. A bit further down, they talk about using a warm water/detergent wash. Finally, "Utilizing cleaning compounds specifically formulated to remove grease/wax as a pre-treatment process for painting are highly recommended." I think JeepsAndGuns has the right idea. Maybe lacquer thinner would work, too.

http://www.fluid-film.com/spraying/

Back