Anyone else have a VN 7 1/2" horizontal dividing head?

MidniteMachinist

Registered
Registered
I just picked up a VN dividing head. It's in pretty decent shape, just needs cleaned up. And I need to figure out a way to get the end cap unthreaded. But anyway...

My question is regarding the number "2" stamped on all the parts. I'm wondering if anyone else has one of these, and if there's different numbers stamped on them?

I dunno if it's a serial number, though it would be pretty cool if it turns out I've got S/N 2.

I have one, I don't see any numbers stamped on it.

I just picked up a VN dividing head. It's in pretty decent shape, just needs cleaned up. And I need to figure out a way to get the end cap unthreaded. But anyway...

My question is regarding the number "2" stamped on all the parts. I'm wondering if anyone else has one of these, and if there's different numbers stamped on them?

I dunno if it's a serial number, though it would be pretty cool if it turns out I've got S/N 2.
Pics please!!

I have one, I don't see any numbers stamped on it.
Sorry... Should've been more specific. The numbers are stamped on... Internal? faces. I've disassembled mine in order to clean it up, and found the number stamped on mating faces. For example, the bottom face of the main body, which bolts to the swivel base, has a "2" stamped on it. There's also a stamp on the worm shaft housing, on the face where it mates with the main body casting.

Pics please!!
Will take some when I get home!

I also have 1. The factory drawing, though in the file section, is provided here for convenience.

I suspect the #2 is for internal use during assembly at Van Norman. A matched set of parts that when assembled will result in a product that meets or exceeds factory tolerances. Saves on fiddling with a lot of fine tuning on each individual item. Cost saving, more efficient way of manufacturing.

I'm only aware of this being true at Chrysler during the 60s on engine assembly. Was it true for VN as well? We may never know.

Attachments

• 00 7 1-2 DIVIDING HEAD.jpg
    00 7 1-2 DIVIDING HEAD.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 4
That looks like a much later model than the one I have. The drawings in your post show tapered roller bearings for the spindle... The dividing head I have has a tapered spindle that rides directly in a tapered bore in the cast iron body.

Back