• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Anybody here have a Model K?

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

NCjeeper

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Just bought a 16x54 and wanted to ask the general questions about it.

NCjeeper

Unfortunately it didn't come with a steady rest. Anybody got one or a lead on one that will fit it? No luck on E-bay so far.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Very similar to a 15" Monarch that I used to have the pleasure of using. I don't know what it's official model designation was, but it was built in the 1970's and I've never seen another one like it. It was a very robust machine and when I heard what it sold for when the company had auction I just about cried. $1200 was a steal. It's only drawback was that it still had the old vacuum tube variable speed control. It worked great most of the time, but was a real pain for our electrician when it decided to go on the fritz.

So what questions do you have??

scwhite

My next lathe will have a Taper attachment
If you want to cut any pipe threads you are going to need a taper attachment

scwhite

Is that a four jaw chuck or is it a three jaw chuck
You are going to need a four jaw chuck
If I could only have one chuck
It would be the four jaw independent chuck

Silverbullet

Nice LATHE, keep looking there lots of steady rest all over. Just post your dimensions , ill look . I've seen a few near me that look big enough. As for needing a taper attachment to cut pipe threads, iv cut thousands of them with out one. There are ways to cut them.. You just have to figure it out. Ill tell you if you can't.
Your lathe is my envy, I wish I could get one in the 13" + 15" x 48" war era for me. She looks good tho , take care of her.

NCjeeper

Is that a four jaw chuck or is it a three jaw chuck
You are going to need a four jaw chuck
If I could only have one chuck
It would be the four jaw independent chuck
It came with a 12" 3 jaw. I bought a 10" 4 jaw for it.

scwhite

Nice LATHE, keep looking there lots of steady rest all over. Just post your dimensions , ill look . I've seen a few near me that look big enough. As for needing a taper attachment to cut pipe threads, iv cut thousands of them with out one. There are ways to cut them.. You just have to figure it out. Ill tell you if you can't.
Your lathe is my envy, I wish I could get one in the 13" + 15" x 48" war era for me. She looks good tho , take care of her.
Ok tell me about cutting thousands of pipe threads
I am leasing
Tell me how you Would cut a pipe thread 2" Dia. 11 1/2 threads per inch inside thread in a pump housing 3/4 inch taper per. Foot
In that lathe with out a tap

Last edited:

chips&more

Active User
You do not necessarily need a taper attachment to cut pipe threads on a metal lathe. And yes, I mean the tapered thread kind.

Silverbullet

Ok tell me about cutting thousands of pipe threads
I am leasing
Tell me how you Would cut a pipe thread 2" Dia. 11 1/2 threads per inch inside thread in a pump housing 3/4 inch taper per. Foot
In that lathe with out a tap
Okee dokee, the fish is on the line, Many hundreds of years ago ,,it seems,, in a valve building shop , we cut them with giant die heads on big old Warner& Swazey , turret LATHES , those babies will cut them in seconds . I've got a big die head new in my shop that will do up to 1 1/2" pipe. We had the automatic tap heads too. Our shop made up to twenty inch valves. Down to the 1/8 pipe in brass, we made nipples for them too. With the dies we had any size up to 4" wasn't a problem. Our one big LATHE had I think a 6"- 8" through hole in the head . Learned ALOT there. You can find the die heads and dies to use on your lathe. I wasn't trying to be smart just wanted you to think how can he do it and I'm stumped. There's always a way. With the tap heads we had they were set up to cut the taper with the tap or die. Releasing tap heads are great

scwhite

Okee dokee, the fish is on the line, Many hundreds of years ago ,,it seems,, in a valve building shop , we cut them with giant die heads on big old Warner& Swazey , turret LATHES , those babies will cut them in seconds . I've got a big die head new in my shop that will do up to 1 1/2" pipe. We had the automatic tap heads too. Our shop made up to twenty inch valves. Down to the 1/8 pipe in brass, we made nipples for them too. With the dies we had any size up to 4" wasn't a problem. Our one big LATHE had I think a 6"- 8" through hole in the head . Learned ALOT there. You can find the die heads and dies to use on your lathe. I wasn't trying to be smart just wanted you to think how can he do it and I'm stumped. There's always a way. With the tap heads we had they were set up to cut the taper with the tap or die. Releasing tap heads are great
You are not cutting the threads at all like I
Was thinking . I was thinking and meant Single point threading . If you will go back and read
I asked you to tell me how you was going to cut the threads without a tap & and of course I mean without dies also .
I am very aware you can cut a pipe thread with
Taps and dies . I can do that on the work bench
In my vice .
But I was refuring to threading in the lathe by single point threading with out the taper attachment . You are going to need the taper attachment.
You can't do it . inside single point threading
a big pipe thread is hard enough with the taper attachment.
Outside threading a big pipe thread is just about
As hard .
And no you don't have a fish on the hook
You are trying to dodge the real subject
Here you are trying to tell the world and me that you
Don't need a taper attachment to cut those pipe threads . Well you happen to be talking to some one the really knows .

Last edited:

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
Let's be sure to keep this civil, gentlemen and keep the thread on subject. This is a discussion about Model K Monarch lathes, NOT an argument about how to cut pipe threads. You are very welcome to start a new thread on that subject in the appropriate forum, just be sure to keep your tempers from flaring.

Silverbullet

Nc , I just found a large center rest , looks to be 16" , not sure its worth the money they want , looks like the fingers are missing . The want $275.00 I can tell you its on craigslist either Philadelphia or south jersey . Also a beautiful 4 jaw chuck in Delaware for $100. 14" or so. With pin mount d6 or something near it. I have been trying to get someone to go get it for me , but my buddy lets me down again. Missed out on a rusted lathe for parts when he didnt go get it . They would load all he had to do was drive.

NCjeeper

I pulled the headstock cover off to check out the gears. Everything looks good, but it was low on oil. I hope the previous owner didn't use it too long like that.

With the cover off I decided to clean it up with a scotch brite wheel on my angle grinder. Once I got all the old paint and grime removed I sprayed a few coats of truck bed linear to it.

NCjeeper

Nc , I just found a large center rest , looks to be 16" , not sure its worth the money they want , looks like the fingers are missing . The want $275.00 I can tell you its on craigslist either Philadelphia or south jersey .
I'll try and pull up the ad thanks.

NCjeeper

Previous owner put a coat of paint on the lathe and painted right over the Monarch badge. I removed all the gray paint and gave it a black paint accent. Should look a lot better now.

Last edited:

NCjeeper

I guess I will keep this thread going since there isnt much talk in the Monarch forum.
Got the lathe leveled today. Also dialed in the tailstock. Glad I did it was 14 thousands out. Put in some scrape 1018 and made my first chips. I have a 1 thousand taper over 8". Not bad for this old girl.

NCjeeper

I ordered new wipers from Monarch today. I figured the 53 year old ones are ready to be replaced.

NCjeeper

Picked up this little oil cup off the internet. The previous owner had the tail stock oil hole plugged with a 1/8 npt pipe plug.

NCjeeper

Bought one of those Chinese tachs off of E-bay. Got a plastic box from McMaster-Carr and wired the puppy up.

5 7