Any Suggestions for South Bend Lathe Belts?

i also picked up another goodyear belt p/n 10PK1600.
this belt is 1.38" wide as opposed to the 1.09" from the other belt i purchased.
i'll be able to test both belts and give an analysis!

once again thanks for all the input!!!
feel free to post your own pictures and comments, they may help someone else someday!

are you going to be pulling your spindle, or splicing this new belt?

are you going to be pulling your spindle, or splicing this new belt? [quote}

i'm going to be stitching the belt together with some heavy duty marlin type strength fishin' line.
i have considered a few ways to stitch and am leaning towards a 30* vee cut into the belts, then getting the stitching done.
i'm thinking of going flat side out, the v's in the gatorbelt should have adequate clearance to hide the stitching well.
i'm just cringing on cutting the belt, it goes against all my instincts and as well as my hypocritical :lmao: oath!!!

i'm up for just a comment or suggestion anytime!!

what kind of SB lathe is this?
Is it an under drive mounted motor?
How hard is it to pull the spindle?

are you going to be pulling your spindle, or splicing this new belt? [quote}

i'm going to be stitching the belt together with some heavy duty marlin type strength fishin' line.
i have considered a few ways to stitch and am leaning towards a 30* vee cut into the belts, then getting the stitching done.
i'm thinking of going flat side out, the v's in the gatorbelt should have adequate clearance to hide the stitching well.
i'm just cringing on cutting the belt, it goes against all my instincts and as well as my hypocritical :lmao: oath!!!

i'm up for just a comment or suggestion anytime!!

Go to your local tractor repair person.See if they have a lacer for repairing belts in a hay baler.Then see if they have any old hay baler belts.Then have them make you a belt.

I have a couple lacers I've picked up over the years a few sizes of laces , not much leather belting but if any body near south Jersey ill lace your belt . Free if you need it to be . But any donation would work. They weren't cheap or free when I bought them , the laces aren't cheap either. But I'm offering to members .

I made a belt for my south bend out of a piece of pvc conveyor belt. it has been on the lathe for 10 years now with no problems.

Though I no longer use my South Bend 9C as my "primary" lathe, I switched over to a serpentine
belt stitched together with "alligator" clipping a while ago. This was a huge improvement over the
leather belt that was similarly stitched. I got mine through Amazon, I think it was this belt:

Bando 6PK1525 OEM Quality Serpentine Belt

I realize that many people prefer seamless belts or glued belts, but this one has held up for me for over
a year of light duty. I don't mind the click-click of metal lacing, and as I mentioned I don't use this lathe
as much as I used to.

Back