[How do I?] Any Suggestion For Getting Out A Stuck Woodruff Key???

Ed ke6bnl

Registered
Registered
I know this is not too technical but I am getting ready to install my x power feed for my bridgeport. I took the nut off, the handle off and slid the locking collar off the shaft. BUT the front woodruff key/half moon keyway is stuck, no movement, I tried to grab it with a vice grip and tap the vice grip, no go. The one closest to the table will tip front to back when I tap it so I think it will free up without an issue. Do you think heat will be my friend?? Heat it and then pull or tap it?? thanks for your suggestions. My last effort may be to grind a slot down the center and start picking it out.

I don't think heat will work. Soak it with kroil, PB blaster, 50/50 at fluid acetone. or your favorite penetrant. then tap one end down.

I do have it soaked with acetone/tranny fluid, and will not be able to fully do the job till after some Christmas honey doos and some pen turning gifts for this years Christmas gifts.

I will be trying some side cutter or end cutters sounds good. At least there is not real stress on this key just the handle of the table. As usual the side on the left was free to remove without issue, took it off to just see how it was all put together.

Hit one end with a hammer (down, toward the shaft) the other end will pop up and you can pull it out with pliers.

the thought of placing a plate with a 1/8 slot over the key and welding sounds good and pull up on the plate may work.

Back