Any Recommendations for a Flood Coolant?

I have not read all the comments yet but I had the same question a while back and someone on here suggested Mobilmet cutting fluid for use in you flood coolant tank. It is great for drilling, tapping and parting on the lathe. I've even used it for some turning. The good thing about it is you never have to worry about corrosion. I think I started w/2 gallons in the tank and now the level is to low to pump. It went on the floor, the stuff makes a mess. If I could fab up something to keep the oil on the lathe rather than the floor I will use it again for sure.

I use the Mobilmet 766 as flood coolant in my lathe and I completely understand what you're saying about keeping it on the lathe. I went to quite a bit of work to control the coolant. I built a back splash, put a back splash on the head stock behind the chuck, put a short plexiglass door at the head stock to stop oil from flinging off the chuck onto the floor and built an extension along the front edge of the chip tray that catches the oil dripping from the apron. The extension also makes a nice tool tray for my tool post tools and on the backsplash I built in two trays to hold all of my tool holders. Probably easier to explain with a photo.
DSCN0417.JPG

Ted

I use the Mobilmet 766 as flood coolant in my lathe and I completely understand what you're saying about keeping it on the lathe. I went to quite a bit of work to control the coolant. I built a back splash, put a back splash on the head stock behind the chuck, put a short plexiglass door at the head stock to stop oil from flinging off the chuck onto the floor and built an extension along the front edge of the chip tray that catches the oil dripping from the apron. The extension also makes a nice tool tray for my tool post tools and on the backsplash I built in two trays to hold all of my tool holders. Probably easier to explain with a photo.
View attachment 339994

Ted

I love your oil filter....lol Great idea!

I love your oil filter....lol Great idea!

Thank you. Since that photo was taken I have moved the filter to the back of the lathe and put it on the suction side of the pump. Being on the suction side of the pump protects the pump from any debris that may have gotten past the filter screen in the sump.

Ted

I wonder if my Noga mini cool will have enough intake flow to be able to run a decent filter inline.....?

I wonder if my Noga mini cool will have enough intake flow to be able to run a decent filter inline.....?

I'm not familiar with the Noga Mini Cool, so I looked it up on-line and it appears that it comes with a filter.

Ted

Back