Any Recommendations for a Flood Coolant?

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I haven’t started researching it yet, but my new lathe has a flood coolant system.

I was just wondering if you guys have any good or bad experiences with any particular brand or type of flood coolant.

I saw one video where the guy was using a refractometer to see if he got the mix just perfect. Hopefully I can skip that because I can’t afford a refractometer at this point.

unless you have a need for production flood cooling,
i would recommend that you at least consider a mist system first.
they can be cobbled together rather inexpensively and you direct the small quantity of coolant where it needs to be instead of destroying your machine slowly, by washing off the oils by the flood and the addition of particulates to areas they would not normally travel

In a hobby shop, coolant is just too much trouble. Unless maintained properly and used frequently, it gets rancid and starts growing stuff. One of the things I don't miss about working in the trade is coming home stinking of rancid coolant.

I see. The machine comes with a flood coolant system ready to go. Maybe I could just not use it? I wonder if this would cause the rubber seals in the flood coolant system to rot and crack.

On my current lathe (which does not have a flood coolant system), I use dark thread cutting oil. It’s smokes a little, but I like that cutting fluid. Am I the only person that enjoys the smell of this?

Last edited:
How long does it take before the coolant mix becomes rancid?

The guy in that video uses this:

Also available by the gallon:

15A18C3E-34F3-42E0-A085-5C4517BAE041.png

My lathe had a flood coolant system in it and I took it out. I don't want to deal with the hassle of rancid oil, the mess and having to wipe it all off after I'm done for the day. I have a Noga mist system I plan to try but for now, just applying cutting oil as needed works fine for me.

I would recommend you skip it for now, consider a mist system if you find the need. The coolant pump is cast iron, it will just sit there, just do not leave coolant in the tank not circulated. On a lathe, the coolant goes everywhere and unless you are machining exotic materials I just can't see a practical reason to use it. As you indicated, many of the coolant solutions go rancid pretty fast, usually within a few months. I use to use coolant on my horizontal bandsaw, temperatures in my garage use to be 100+ during the summer months in AZ, only coolant that worked well and didn't go rancid and rust up my machine was KoolRite 2290. I use my bandsaw less frequently so stopped using the fluid coolant. Many of the coolants and cutting fluids will stain your ways and exposed metal surfaces if left on them overnight. At the end of each day when I use my machines, I wipe them down with Way oil.

On my lathe I use a Lexan chip shield which helps the oil and cutting fluid spray. I have built numerous control systems for mills and lathes, all with a coolant option, most people never use it and the few that do use a mist system. KoolRite would be a good choice for that application. I had tried Kool Mist 77 concentrate in my bandsaw, it rusted my machine and went rancid in about 3 months. A lot of expense unless you are using the lathe daily for production parts and generating income.

Wow, I did not see this coming: rancid coolant and damage to the machine.

I will skip it for now, and just leave the flood coolant system empty.

Since I don’t go out of state for school anymore, I will be staying home for 6 weeks a year just working in my shop. I will probably put coolant in the system for those 6 weeks and leave the system empty the rest of the year (when I can only work on the lathe on weekends).

Back