any difference -wood or metal???

All great feedback. No sense on spending the extra $$ then on the Jet. I mentioned the Jet because of the previous recommendation of going with a gear head. Back to getting the HF bandsaw then!!

I was planning on adding something. My uncle used to hold a brush with cutting oil while he used his... this was many, many moons ago, he is no longer with us (I learned to weld with him..) So I was thinking of using something similar but with a pump and one of those flexible nozzles...
I can see on a large industrial saw using cutting oil. On a small saw like the horizontal HF all you do is cause slippage on the wheels and a mess everywhere. I've worked in a fab shop where we had both 4x6 and bigger saw going all the time and neither ran oil. I guess if you are running at higher speeds but if speed is your thing then get a cold saw like has been mentioned. Modern saw blades are much tougher than they used to be. I get years out of both horiz and vert bi metal blades by Starrett or Lenox. I have seen a rotating brush close to the blade guides to keep swarf out of guides and wheels on the horiz but never seen the need for it on mine. The vert it try and keep the swarf out of it to keep off the rubber tires to keep the swarf from embedding in them. We use SoniCare toothbrushes and I got the bright idea to mod the dead ones. Instead of throwing them away I cut them down and glue the head close to the base. The base has super powerful magnets in them so the brush can be stuck anywhere. I have two on the vert saw brushing off swarf the tires and one on my carriage of my lathe cleaning swarf off the lead screw.

C-Bag, good to know... yes, his machine was pretty big... nothing like what I am getting from HF. Thank you for sharing the knowledge. :eagerness:

Back