Any body know what this Poly/plastic is

markknx

Active User
Registered
I'm on a job site and one of the trades have a buch of drops of this stuff I think they are going to scrap it. I think the guy will give me some but I am not sure what it is and what it's properties are. I got a small piece from a trash pile and it seems to machine OK. It is being used to seal arround lead blocks for a radiation room. This is new construction so it has not yet been exposed.Thanks for any helpMark20140617_140515.jpg20140617_140520.jpg

20140617_140515.jpg 20140617_140520.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up about 1,000 pounds of HDPE remnants. It’s not Delrin, but for the Hobby Machinist, it’s great stuff. I first thought I got too much of it and had a hard time finding a place to store it. Then I started to use it, and use it and use it. Now I want more of it! Mark, get all you can!

Grab it all! You'll figure out what to do with it when the time comes. ;-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Although not the same as what the OP inquired about, here's some stuff that serves a lot of purposes. It's called Star-Board or sometimes called Marine-Board. http://www.marinestarboardonline.com/ Really amazing stuff. Incredibly strong and very resistant to chemicals, sun fading etc. It cuts easily with any carpentry tool (table saw, band saw etc) and it's about as strong (possibly stronger) as equivalent thickness plywood. You can pre-drill holes and use wood screws to fasten. One of the local metal supply places had several sheets with damaged corners and I was tempted to get it. We use a lot of this at the yacht yard and it holds-up way better than wood or fiberglass.

If you ever come across it in your scrounging endeavors, jump on it...

Ray

EDIT: BTW, I think that star-board is the same material as the "synthetic wood" that's commonly used for porch decks. Dawg-gone durable stuff!

Keep the spindle speed down, HDPE likes to melt ;)

Good find BTW, and if you ever decide to build an X-ray machine, you will have some nice material ;)

Keep the spindle speed down, HDPE likes to melt ;)

Good find BTW, and if you ever decide to build an X-ray machine, you will have some nice material ;)

This material is no better for X-ray shielding than is ordinary HDPE (that is, not much use at all). It's specifically designed to stop neutrons.

So I pick up about 5 pieces in verying sizes from about 4' x 8" to 16"x16". I may be able to get more next weak, but he had promed some to one of the guysworking with him and he wanted to let him take what he wanted be fore I grabbed it all. Thanks again for all the imput. Mark

See now, that was a joke. Thing is as soon as I hit submit I started wondering of someone was gonna call me out on it ;)

Back