Antique Hardindge Bench Lathe. How to remove spindle head

Dean,
How was that tailstock t-bolt secured? I'm thinking that possibly the same method is used in the headstock.

Cheers Phil

Well Dean, I found a bit more info.....
1.png 2.png
These dont show the method of retaining the t-bolts but at least you get the idea.

But then I found this!
3.jpg
So it appears that they are held in place by cams. Can you clean down in the holes from the back and see a) a hex head, or b) a screwdriver slot? To turn the cam bolt.

credit to lathes.co.uk for images

Cheers Phil

1.png 2.png 3.jpg

PHIL
thanks for the url.

I had seen the UK lathe site and it's cross section. I think you are right, these are broken off cam pins. This would explain the rough surface end and how the two are not recessed the same amount. I also confirmed that there is no holes on the other side

I also found two cam bolts in the parts that I got with the lathe. One looks to be the original and the other was made from a standard 3/8 bolts. I expect the PO had broken them and gotten the other parts to replace...but never got around to it.

Trying to think how to take this apart now
go to this url and you will see the pics
http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Medida/library/Hardinge Lathe?sort=2&page=1

Try putting a file to the "original" looking cam bolt. That might give you an idea about its "drill-a-bility"
i think drilling is going to be your best option here. It will be difficult to stop the drill from wandering down in that deep hole. Maybe look at making a bush to locate the bit. I would start with about 1/8th and step up in small increments. Maybe try an ezi-out or if you get closer to full size you may need to use a small flat tool to peel the remaining cam out. dremel maybe, but thats a long shank to go in there.... Otherwise if that is not do-able, and if you think you could accurately locate on the front side, (where you looked for through holes) maybe drill through from there and get a suitable pin punch in to knock them back out. In the meantime lay the lathe over and fill the holes with some penetrating oil while you consider your options. Good luck

Cheers Phil

success

go it off.

We were able to "nudge" the unit off the bed. We then tipped it on it side and by tapping on the casting, got the pins to fall out. Thanks to all for the help

Good to hear, I was wondering whether there was success or you were crying in the corner of your shop whilst cradling your broken headstock

Cheers Phil

Well Dean, I found a bit more info.....
View attachment 70265 View attachment 70266
These dont show the method of retaining the t-bolts but at least you get the idea.

But then I found this!
View attachment 70267
So it appears that they are held in place by cams. Can you clean down in the holes from the back and see a) a hex head, or b) a screwdriver slot? To turn the cam bolt.

credit to lathes.co.uk for images

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the illustrations. I am not a machine re-builder but my Dad was, part of of his job, a maintenance-man.

Looking at the pin lying next to your ruler makes me wonder if this system of tightening/loosening, is something like an old lathe I have lying by me, If one looks in the horizontal holes in the headstock casting you will be able to see the transverse thro' hole in the pin, & the bottom of this transverse hole slightly up from the bottom face of horizontal holes.

take a portion of bar set up in a four jaw chuck & turn a slight length "off centre" thus making a cam shape, On the outer end of the bar cross drill for a tommy bar feed bar in, till cam portion is in transverse hole in the vertical tee bolt. Lightly push down or tap tommy bar in appropriate direction & this should take the pressure of your tee bolt section & allow head or tailstock to slide free

Guess your Hardinge system was not far away from my removal method, or my old lathes locking system either, Luckily I have the "Cam Bars" that came with the lathe

Core- Oil

Dan,
these t-bolts have the cam that operates them remain in situ, and had been broken off in the holes. What keeps yours tight when you remove the cam bars on your lathe?

Cheers Phil

Back
Top Bottom