Another What Is It

dlane

Active User
Registered
Have two of the round slated things they are 1" ,the procurer is mt2 what goes in other end ,it has two spring loaded balls , and is it worth keeping as is. Was going to make a live tailstock Chuck out of it.
Thanks

image.jpeg

As soon as I saw the name Procurer, I thought of tapping heads that you put tap into and can tap a hole with drill press etc, and as you stop moving the
spindle down, it stops rotation and then reverses direction as you live up on the spindle. This does't look nearly that complicated, and me this it is some sort of chuck.
A quick Google search shows a catalogue of these types of tools. Definitely worth keeping.

https://books.google.com/books?id=2...LDAF#v=onepage&q=procunier double jaw&f=false

and from eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Procunier-Double-Jaw-Style-H-43mm-Chuck-Morse-No-4-/380751354627

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Hi Derrick! The slotted thing on the left is a mystery to me. The Procunier tool is what is called a "magic" chuck. Scully Jones made a bunch of them for production drilling. The part you have goes in the Morse taper spindle of a drill press or other vertical cutting machine. Then you pull up the ring to release the balls and there is another part that goes in there and has slots to capture the balls when you slide the ring back down. The lower piece has a female MT in the bottom of it. Into the female MT goes drill and/or tap holders that look like a MT adapter with a hole in the big end and a slot down the length of it. It grabs the female MT when it is tapped in. Here is a link to some of the parts:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=scully+jones+magic+chuck&_sacat=0

I will take a couple pics of some that I have and post them as soon as I can get to it.

Here are the pics of the Scully Jones tooling I have:

SAM_1350.JPG SAM_1351.JPG SAM_1352.JPG

The idea is that you can have the chuck in the spindle, and the tool in the holder, the holder is tapped into the lower barrel, and then you can change tools very quickly by twisting and pulling up the locking ring and exchanging the lower portion for a different one, a tap for instance, or a drill, or a MT drill, or whatever, quickly and without needing to break the Morse Tapers. There are holders with square holes for taps as well. The only downside of the tooling is that it uses up a fair amount of headroom. You definitely want a floor drill press or a mill with headroom for using these. They are very high quality, solidly built industrial tools, typically used in a production environment. The ones in the pics I posted have a 4 MT for the spindle connection and 2 MT and 3 MT sockets for the tools. I sold Mike Walton (Ulma Doctor) a similar set with #2 and 3 MT both top and bottom, two chucks and several sockets in the set.

Is the slotted bar on the left the same shape on both ends or does it taper to a full circular shape at the other end?

Almost looks like something for lapping an inside diameter.

Thanks for the info Bob and all, Seeing as I don't have any of the other parts it might turn into a live tailstock chuck. Is Scully jones related to Parnelly jones ?,
as that's where my 10L and vert band saw came from ?.
Those round slated things came from GE tool crib when they closed .

Planeflyer , they are same size on both ends, the end not shown in pic has a small square nipple on it. The backside is smooth no slots

The long step slotty thingy is part of a strap clamp used on the mill. I don't remember the maker of it, been too many past since being around that stuff. Try Northwestern for a start.

Derrick--my quick change drill press chucks are Scully Jones make----I was told you could lift the ring and release the holders while the drill was still turning and insert another one and drop the ring to lock it in--this was explained to me by someone who had used them in production shop--it doesn't sound too safe to me so maybe someone else that uses them can verify this since I have not tried it---I don't think it would work as a tailstock chuck because the release ring uses gravity to keep the holder locked in----Dave

Back