Another Turners cube.

burtonbr

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had forgotten about making these, until I saw another members post theirs and I thought I would like to share pictures of mine too, you'all are probably tired of seeing Turners cubes, but I don't have many projects to post yet and I was pretty proud I made these. I actually made these a couple years ago when I first got my G0704 mill. The smaller one is 1" and the larger one is 1 1/4", I made 3 other 1 1/4" ones with this one but gave them away to family members that thought they were cool.
It was a very good beginner project, easy to machine aluminum and I learned a lot about machining stock square, boring and staying within a tolerance on multiple parts, I hope to try to make one on the mini lathe sometime for the practice too.
thanks for looking.

image.jpg image.jpg

Nice job. I did the basic same thing and then threw them into a vibratory rock tumbler for a couple of days. That really made them pop.

Some day I'm going to tackle ones where they actually separate. I think the real turners cubes separate yet remain captive.

The ones I saw years ago had them loose inside. I remember, because I just stared at this thing trying to figure out how they stuffed the smaller squares inside the bigger one. :))

Bill

Yeah, if you cut a but deeper, and leave the cubes just barely attached at the corners, you can then use a jeweler's saw to cut them loose and it makes an interesting effect.

Back