Another theoretical question

a picture of your torch is worth a million words

a picture of your torch is worth a million words
I would have to dig it out and unbox it to take photos. And still couldn't convey the technical details even then. The link is to eBay for the same machine, albeit a bit later. (The price is higher. . . ) You may well find details I don't even know to look for.

The expression I remember was for a thousand words. The link may cover that. But a mil, not likely.

I see. So based on that info, what you have is a basic plasma cutter. Simply disregard the word "welding" in that Ebay description. Make no mistake about it, that is a plasma cutting torch, not a welding torch by any stretch of the imagination. To attempt to use that for welding would be futile, since the hafnium inserts in the electrodes are not meant to carry as much current as a true TIG welding machine, nor would you be able to manipulate the arc in the intended fashion as it is needed for TIG. Oh and I use my own expressions. :)

Thank you, Sir, for a technical reason "it" wouldn't work. I don't know anything about TIG welding and was just dreaming about a "what if" thought. I really wasn't pursueing the "welder" portion of the eBay ad. I have dealt with the Chinese in the past and realize the difference between "associated with" and "used for" in the translation part.

As I understand it, the plasma torch that my son and I bought has nothing but a copper tip with a hole through it. An onboard compressor sends air through the hole carrying an electric arc to the work piece whick has the ground wire clamped to it. The arc super heats the air stream turning it to the 4th. state of matter, "plasma", this burns through the work piece and blows the molten material away. No gas cylinder or "rods" involved. Works good on sheet metal which is what we bought it for.

Richard

As I understand it, the plasma torch that my son and I bought has nothing but a copper tip with a hole through it. An onboard compressor sends air through the hole carrying an electric arc to the work piece whick has the ground wire clamped to it. The arc super heats the air stream turning it to the 4th. state of matter, "plasma", this burns through the work piece and blows the molten material away. No gas cylinder or "rods" involved. Works good on sheet metal which is what we bought it for.

Richard
Yup, that's pretty much the basic operation of typical modern plasma cutter.

Back