Another Smithy issue needing attention. Lead screw shaft slop

mac1911

Registered
Registered
I had a gear go out on me and while Im waiting on new gears I need to address this

My machine is much older than yours, but the only side to side slop I have like that is the tail stock screw and excessive backlash on the Z axis. If I ran in to the problems you’ve had, I might make a boat anchor out of it.

You seem to have a lot of patience and determination to straighten things out.

My machine is much older than yours, but the only side to side slop I have like that is the tail stock screw and excessive backlash on the Z axis. If I ran in to the problems you’ve had, I might make a boat anchor out of it.

You seem to have a lot of patience and determination to straighten things out.
I picked it up before it was to become a boat anchor. Lol

So basically what I paid for the machine and what I have into it for hard cash I could still not buy a decent lathe.
I dont “need” the lathe. So it can sit for months until I feel like doing something with it.
As far as backlash Smithy says .008-.0015 is about as good as it gets. I have the cross slide just about to that .008” point. X axis on this machine does not have any real adjustment.

Z axis - I have not even started to improve on that
I think the first few owners of this lathe did not ecen attempt to adjust or maintain it? The last owner just used it as it was.

I spent hours cleaning off the original rust preventive gunk on most of the machine,

Last edited:
An abused machine is a challenge.

I'm sure my z axis is way beyond .008. I have been unable to find any adjustment. It doesn’t have the mechanism that the 1220xl has.

An abused machine is a challenge.

I'm sure my z axis is way beyond .008. I have been unable to find any adjustment. It doesn’t have the mechanism that the 1220xl has.
I looked at the mill head briefly. Theres a little adjustment for the Z
Im struggling keeping the head from moving while cutting. Plus I need a better vise. The small drill press type it came with does not work well.

Vise is crucial. I’m finally realizing that I need a better vise too.

Back