Another local 109

abracadabra

Registered
Registered
Well I still haven't pulled the trigger on a lathe yet, I just recently missed out on an old Atlas 618 that someone else bought before I could get there.

I am getting more familiar with these things as I'm reading more and more.

This local lathe popped up for $300 OBO, looks ok to me, I haven't seen it in person yet but might do so next week.
109.jpg

Looks like the bed is longer then the standard one.I think that was an option. But I don't see any of the drivetrain for the lead screw. It's possible they took it off for some reason. It's possible they still have all the parts but once again I wouldn't buy it if its not included.

Seller says comes with tailstock chuck, 4 jaw chuck, live center. Plus what you see in the pics.
Mk

The part that concerns me is the missing cover, gears and tumbler. I'm trying to include a picture of what should be there but don't know if its working. The lathe in your picture is angled so I can't see everything but the cover should still be visible. The tumbler is mounted on the cover so that's missing too. Expensive to buy I'm sure. Can't do any threading without it.

image.jpg

Here's a shot from the side, looks like it doesn't have threading gears.
However, I had no intentions of threading with this machine, the thread work I do involves very very fine thread & I do this by hand with the steel rod held in chuck.
The lathe would be used for turning various size brass, sometimes steel & wood, for making parts & basic one off tooling for woodwind repair.
Mk01313_jLWwa72Brok_600x450.jpg

Mk---looks good for your needs--and the price is low if it is in good shape and it has a nice bench---however--I wouldn't wait days to look at it if you want to make your offer first on it---first cash offer usually takes the prize----Dave

Mk---looks good for your needs--and the price is low if it is in good shape and it has a nice bench---however--I wouldn't wait days to look at it if you want to make your offer first on it---first cash offer usually takes the prize----Dave

I wish I had time to check it out today, however, I'm afraid I'm not free until later this week. Keeping my fingers crossed that its still available then, I've literally missed out on half a dozen lathes in the last 2 months because of timing!

Mk

You also won't have any power feed for cutting without the gears. And if you plan on ever selling the lathe it's resale value will be lowered so take that into account if you buy it. Also may be a good point for getting it cheap now.

With out power feed you won't get a good finish on brass or steel. Now if you are good with electronics and could build a stepper motor drive for the lead screw. It might be ok if the spindle isn't bent. At half the price.

Back