Another Drum Switch Question

G-ManBart

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My apologies in advance for adding yet another drum switch question to the forum. This has been a heck of a rough week and I am just mentally fried. I've wired a drum switch a couple of times in the past, but I'm drawing a blank this time.

This is a Furnas R44 switch on a lathe. The motor is an Atlas Super Power 1hp 110/220 with no diagram. The junction box on the side normally has the diagram on the cover, but that was missing when I bought the lathe. It was wired for 110V and I'm not even sure they did it properly as it was struggling in the highest/fastest gear so that a moderate load would trip the breaker. I decided it was time to change it over to 220V.

I ohm'd out the leads and 3/6 and 4/5 are the main windings and 1/2 are the starter winding. I powered the motor directly in both forward and reverse with no issues. I also did some turning with it in the highest gear with a negative rake insert and it easily threw some big chips, so I'm pretty confident the motor is okay...it was a night and day difference in how much power it had.

I'm just down to sorting out the wiring for the drum switch. I've made a drawing for the switch and how I powered the motor directly for forward and reverse successfully. Any advice in how to wire the switch would really be helpful!

IMG_2782.jpgIMG_2783.JPG

This should work: -Mark
If rotation backwards from switch handle move motor wire 1 from switch 4 to switch 1

Attachments

• CHPDrum240V.jpeg
    CHPDrum240V.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 24
By the way, G-man, that was a great way to ask your question, with the right research and good summary of what you know.

So much different than some, that are more like “hey, I have a machine in my shop giving me trouble, what should I look for?”

This should work: -Mark
If rotation backwards from switch handle move motor wire 1 from switch 4 to switch 1

Thanks a ton Mark....worked perfectly!

With a fresh set of eyes and looking at your diagram this morning I think what was throwing me was looking at the old wiring setup. I still have to clean up the wiring, but that part is easy. Thanks again!

By the way, G-man, that was a great way to ask your question, with the right research and good summary of what you know.

So much different than some, that are more like “hey, I have a machine in my shop giving me trouble, what should I look for?”
Thanks! I always figure stuff like this goes back to the old "garbage in = garbage out" saying. If someone is going to take the time to help me I figure I owe it to them to do as much legwork as possible.

She's running strong now. I'll clean up the wiring tomorrow and make some chips :eagerness:

Back