(Another) Craigslist rant, short this time

CL does have certain areas that do pay for posting an ad and that is enough to carry the rest of the site.

Not that it's true in a lot of cases ... but sometimes the seller just happened upon the item, has NO idea of the true valus, but thinks because it's a "machine tool," it should be worth a lot. Most likely when the seller can't tell you the specs of the tool. Nevertheless, just a little bit of basic research shouldn't be that burdensome!

Ah, well ...

I'm currently in a bidding war that ends in a hour or so . I'm at my limit ! :grin: I'm buying something back that I sold a few months back , not in the mood to pay twice the price of what I sold mine for .

Around here people often post things for outrageous prices too. As said, people can post for whatever they want, doesn't bother me & I just ignore what I think is too much.

But what does bother me are the scammers & the low ballers. I don't post stuff for sale often but when I do almost always the first two inquires are scammers.

It's always the same message too, simply "Is X item available" or "I want to buy your X item". Number is almost never local to me so I reply, "what city are you located in". The reply will be "local", that's when I block the number.

Or by chance if it does seem legitiment & I decide to continue further with responses, I'll get "give me your address & I will send you a money order for half the item to hold, blah blah blah". Then I block their number. Always the same song & dance.

Then there are the lowballers. I posted an item brand new for $160 last week. Got an email saying they'll give me $80 cause that's all they have. Really? And that's not my problem that you "only" have $80, go buy it online for $245.

:big grin:

Not that it's true in a lot of cases ... but sometimes the seller just happened upon the item, has NO idea of the true valus, but thinks because it's a "machine tool," it should be worth a lot. Most likely when the seller can't tell you the specs of the tool. Nevertheless, just a little bit of basic research shouldn't be that burdensome!

Ah, well ...

Sometimes these are the same people who will post an item as Antique or Rare. I automatically skip those ads cause I know the price will be very high!

The price of good old American top quality tools have bottomed out . They are being scarfed up now by everyone including myself . I just need to get what I need and get rid of what I don't need ! ( which changes daily ) :big grin:

P. T. Barnum was correct -- "There's a sucker born every minute."

You have to wait for the sucker to (maybe) come.

Unless the seller and the buyer agree on a price, a sale does not take place.

You gotta' know when to count out money and when to walk away. Mistakes will be made, by both buyers and sellers.

I just placed an item on the local classifieds, got a text from someone who would give me $50 more than what I was asking, so I said sure and gave him the local police chief's name and address, chief is a dick so I didnt feel bad at all for either of them... giggle

There has been someone in recent weeks local craigslist that posts tools from Harbor Freight sales. More than they sell for at the store. They are even so lazy that the pic used is just lifted from the Harbor Freight web site, just the tool and no background.

On the flip side, these are my favorite type of CL ads (yes this one was actually posted for real). Maybe the guys who sell the old "antique" stuff for high prices have bought from this guy. :D

Screenshot_20190129-094416.jpg

Back