Another "cheap reamer" topic thread

Anybody have thoughts or opinions on this one? Made in India, so who knows. But at least I don't see any funky disclaimers about mile-wide tolerances being mentioned.
Only for hobby level lathe work and really don't want to drop hundreds on a set that I'll only use occasionally.

Don't buy from suppliers with weird vague descriptions, you will most likely be wasting your time and maybe your money.

Imo, the best advise would be to not buy a set at all, and just buy reamers as needed for projects.

for example you can pick up Alvord Polk reamers on amazon.

Shank dia is a spec that is nice to know, but not very important. I'm a little more focused on the cutting diameter. With resharped reamers, it can be all over the place. It's nice when they are sized to the tenth before you buy. But don't trust no dimensional etching on no tool shank, with used or reground tools it is likely meaningless...

Imo, the best advise would be to not buy a set at all, and just buy reamers as needed for projects.

for example you can pick up Alvord Polk reamers on amazon.
I have a few Alvord Polk reamers. They are dead on. For the most part I agree with you. Was a tough lesson to learn a while back.

I did end up getting a pretty good set of imperial reamers with quite a few over and under sizes from a member. It was @mattthemuppet2 who had bought out a huge amount of stuff at an auction. Was a very decent price. I'm all set for standard sizes under a 1/2". Could use a few more in the up to 1" size, but they will be sourced as I need them.

Last edited:
Are you serious ? :laughing:
I can't find that listing again, but yes, there was one that bad.

But it's pretty easy to find clowns selling things like reamers with disclaimers of "could be off by several mm". At that point you might as well use a drill. It comes from resellers that have no idea about the things they are selling, and are incapable of measuring anything, even with a ruler! Or selling reamers with imperial ranges, but actual whole metric dimensions. Kind of like this joker: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3856771508...5JH+CCybSsxQOJidEtXhL+bPrg==|tkp:BFBM4LzdmKhi
The title is

8PCS Reamer Set 1/8-3/8 inch Chucking Reamer Set H8 HSS Straight Flute Straight Now that seems like it would be imperial - but its metric in the listing. Buyer beware...

And we have this listing, there's some dimensions given, but check out note 2. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2254104315...arRSCMyLl87SMg%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2349624
Specifications:
Cutting Diameter: 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4"
Accuracy Class: H7
Reaming Shape: Cylinder
Cutting Length: 38.5mm / 1.52", 45mm / 1.77", 54.5mm / 2.15", 60mm / 2.36"
Overall Length: 124mm / 4.88", 165mm / 6.5", 146mm / 5.75", 185mm / 7.28"
Round Shank Size: 10mm / 0.39", 13mm / 0.51", 15mm / 0.59", 18mm / 0.71"
Flutes Quantity: 6
Material: High-speed Steel (HSS)
Coating: Uncoated

Package Includes:
4 x Chucking Reamers

Note:
1. Due to computers display colors differently,the color may vary slightly from the above images,Thanks for your understanding!
2. Manual measured, please allow 2-4mm error
3. You have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we will reply as soon as possible and help you solve!

Hmm, a 3/8" reamer with 3mm +1/-1mm error, yeah that's useful... Stay away from listings like these. They are nothing but trouble.

Eh ..........what's .008-.016 off on a reamer . :rolleyes::grin:

Back