Another backplate threads

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Ok, before I go any further. I assumed that the register, ( if I have the terminology right)( the indented part of the backplate should be pretty close to the depth on the back of the chuck), how close? Because I just measured another chuck that I have been using, and there's. 050 difference in depth. I don't want to waste time or stress over an insignificant measurement.

Attachments

• 20221216_183055.jpg
    20221216_183055.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 21
I'm so far from an expert that it's not funny but I have made two backplates. On both I made the register tall enough/deep enough (if that makes sense) so that it would provide a solid place for the chuck to land but not so tall that it bottomed out in the chuck recess.

And the holes should be thru holes, how big? 10mm thread, how much counterbore? Flush/ halfway?
There's actually two registers, this one here we're talking about and the one between the threads and the shoulder on the spindle- that dead area
is called a register also
Thanks, I gathered that, but wasn't sure.

You can do the holes however you feel comfortable as far as diameter and counterbore, there's no hard and fast rules
You probably don't want flush since there may not be much meat left. Check the bolts you plan to use and measure the heads.
Fitting a backplate I spend extra time checking and re-checking- it pays off

Back