Another auction buy..... A Do-all DH-612 surface grinder.

xalky

Registered
Registered
I just one this surface grinder. It says the lubrication system is broken....whatever that means. I'm thinking it's the coolant system. I paid $355 for it. It's from the same school that I got the kiln from this afternoon. I wish I had looked at it while I was there...but I didn't think about it. They hired a new maintenance chief over there and he's liquidating everything that doesn't fit the school. This particular tech school is moving to all CNC stuff. So here it is:

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,ct/auction/view?auc=1035782

I have a magnetic chuck for it just sitting on my shelf and I also have a selection of grinding wheels, some diamond, that I picked up about a year ago on another tool hunt. I'm curious to see whats wrong with it. Hopefully, not much.:whistle:

Marcel

Another nice score.

They describe it as being in poor condition but it looks awfully clean to me.

Should work nicely with a little TLC.

Should you need any radius dressers I have both a SPI and a J&S Fluidmotion.

I have no wheel dressers at this time. Are you looking to sell the ones you have?

I think they listed it as "poor" because of the lubricator not working...we'll see. Hopefully they didn't run it dry, with no lube. This just has a one shot manual lubricator on it, so I'm thinking I could just buy a Bridgeport type one shot lubricator and adapt it. It has the splash coolant setup, maybe that's what they were talking about. I'm kicking myself for not looking at it while I was at the school.

I was just looking at the magnetic chuck I have and it's too long, it's for a 6x18, so I'm gonna have to work a trade or something, with somebody.

Marcel

The table on this SG may be long enough fit a 6x18 chuck on. If it is then using the longer chuck will be fine I'd think.

Electromagnetic or permanent? I have an OS Walker 6x18 and a Magna-Loc 8x24 EM chuck. Both too big for you.

I'd probably sell the SPI but I think I'll be keeping the Fluidmotion.

Here's a picture of the SPI. It's an early one with no plastic parts. If you're interested PM me. It's been cleaned up since this picture and all the sliding bits slide nicely.

Radiusdresser2_zps7d5a0cae.jpg

Radiusdresser2_zps7d5a0cae.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a good catch, Marcel... Something tells me you'll have the oil system fixed in a jiffy. -Mainly because that machine does not have an oil system. I do believe it's ways are greased (unlike mine that has oil storage reservoirs that slowly feed the scraped ways through passages).

Good find!

Ray

Looks like a good catch, Marcel... Something tells me you'll have the oil system fixed in a jiffy. -Mainly because that machine does not have an oil system. I do believe it's ways are greased (unlike mine that has oil storage reservoirs that slowly feed the scraped ways through passages).

Good find!

Ray
I think your right. I had a hunch that the numb skulls were talking about the splash coolant system, thats why I bid on it. I doubt this thing has seen much use at all. I'll probably get it at the end of the week, thursday or friday. With a little luck and maybe a little grease, I might be able to talk the guy into giving me the chuck for it. :))

Marcel

I'm almost certain that there is a Bijur electrically operated lube pump there on the right side just above the control panel/electrical box.

Should be an easy fix as Bijur is still around and doing business.

I'm pretty sure I see two DRO scales on it as well!!!

That's a hydraulic machine too so the tedious hand cranking is eliminated.

Don't think the thing has any coolant system at all. I see no provisions for one and the lack of splash guarding and the general condition of the machine tells me that coolant was never used on this unit.

These DoAll SG's were very well built and equipped.

Last edited:
You definitely have to lose the Rudolph light!!

I'm almost certain that there is a Bijur electrically operated lube pump there on the right side just above the control panel/electrical box.

Should be an easy fix as Bijur is still around and doing business.

I'm pretty sure I see two DRO scales on it as well!!!

That's a hydraulic machine too so the tedious hand cranking is eliminated.

Don't think the thing has any coolant system at all. I see no provisions for one and the lack of splash guarding and the general condition of the machine tells me that coolant was never used on this unit.

These DoAll SG's were very well built and equipped.
I was thinking it might be a hydraulic feed too, but I don't see the power pack for it. In one of the photos, it looks like there are 2 hydraulic lines on the left side of the machine, but then I thought that maybe they were coolant lines. It sure would be awesome if it was a hydraulic feed, that's what i really wanted, but they were all priced out of my league.

You definitely have to lose the Rudolph light!!
Aw, come on man, What did rudolph ever do to you?:))

I managed to download those PDFs last night. Thanks

We'll see what the deal is when i go pick it up. I think I'm gonna have to rent a lift gate truck for this one. Any idea how much this weighs?

Last edited:
Back