Another auction buy..... A Do-all DH-612 surface grinder.

I'd get you the specs off of my DoAll 824-10 hydraulic unit but the scrap man has unfortunately already taken it.
Even my DoAll used a 1.5hp 1725rpm motor but I replaced it with a 2hp because that's what Ulma Doctor had. (Please contact me Mike (Ulma Doctor) we still need to finish our deal and I feel terrible. Lost your contact info when all my stuff was deleted here!!)
I do remember the pump was from Continental Hydraulics and one of their PVR series of pumps.
300psi if I remember correctly.
You should be able to find a good, suitable and inexpensive HPU pretty easily. Especially if you're getting some help from John.
To John, the hydraulic cylinder traverses the table in the X-axis or left and right.

That really is a VERY nice SG you have there Marcel! Enviably clean and relatively newish (if you can call a 1975 machine newish, I do!).

Also the Acu-Rite 2um scales are awesome. A 2um scale is the only one which belongs on a SG IMO. Be on the lookout for a used Acu-Rite display for the right price. I see it as you bought two scales and they threw in a sweet SG!

Congrats on a great buy and I look forward to hearing how it works.

No!! Alls the cylinder does is move the table side to side. I could push it with one finger. What we're talking about here is overcoming inertia and some small amount of friction at different rates of speed. In some cases, pretty high rates of speed. Those are the ones I'm fretting about. The whole issue is I need to know what the existing components pressure rating is. I don't know that. If you've ever watched a hydraulic surface grinder in action, you'd know what I'm talking about. I don't want to set the relief valve too high or the flow rate too high as to create a seal blow out, or worse brake linkages and attachment points. Thats it... If it was a simple matter of lifting a table of a given weight at a given rate, that would be easy. That's not the case. There are lot's of dynamics in play here. Why can 1 guy push a dragster...because he takes his time to overcome inertia. Why can't 1 guy push a dragster down the track at 200mph in 3.9 seconds....because Inertia's a *****.

AND HERES THE WHOLE THING, I DON"T HAVE TO FIGURE IT OUT! Someone already Figured it out 50 yrs ago. And it's written somewhere...and someone knows where that info is and what that info is. My machine is not some custom surface grinder that I'm developing . It's been done 100,000 times. Why would i want to reinvent it. Someone here has a hydraulic surface grinder that has those figures written right on the machine. If not here, then on the net somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd get you the specs off of my DoAll 824-10 hydraulic unit but the scrap man has unfortunately already taken it.
Even my DoAll used a 1.5hp 1725rpm motor but I replaced it with a 2hp because that's what Ulma Doctor had. (Please contact me Mike (Ulma Doctor) we still need to finish our deal and I feel terrible. Lost your contact info when all my stuff was deleted here!!)
I do remember the pump was from Continental Hydraulics and one of their PVR series of pumps.
300psi if I remember correctly.
You should be able to find a good, suitable and inexpensive HPU pretty easily. Especially if you're getting some help from John.
To John, the hydraulic cylinder traverses the table in the X-axis or left and right.

That really is a VERY nice SG you have there Marcel! Enviably clean and relatively newish (if you can call a 1975 machine newish, I do!).

Also the Acu-Rite 2um scales are awesome. A 2um scale is the only one which belongs on a SG IMO. Be on the lookout for a used Acu-Rite display for the right price. I see it as you bought two scales and they threw in a sweet SG!

Congrats on a great buy and I look forward to hearing how it works.
I would think that 300 psi is in the right range. The cylinder, as close as I can tell, looking at it with a flashlight , buried under the table, looks to be about 2.00" in diameter(very roughly). I just put an offer on a vickers 2hp powerpack with an adjustable relief valve from 75psi-1000psi. I think that's in the right range, since the original was 1.5hp. I let you know if he accepts.

He accepted my offer. Heres what I bought: VICKERS HYDRAULIC POWER PACK HYDRAULIC PUMP 2 HP 3 PH 220/440 1735 RPM http://www.ebay.com/itm/121168097474?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 .

@John Hasler. I was really tired last night. I appreciate your input and I know you wanted to help. My sincere apologies....Thanks

@ Senna. The 300 psi figure has given me a great starting point. There are flow controls over by the 4-way valve under the table and then theres also the speed control (the right knob in front of the table) which is also a flow control. I've never worked on one of these, so this should be an interesting little challenge, but I'm up for it.

Hydraulics was my favorite course at engineering school. I loved it.

I got her into position, leveled, and wired up to my 3 phase circuit. The spindle turned in the right direction on the first try, I didn't have to swap the wires. The spindle and motor are quiet as can be...woohoo! 20140111_190520_zpswibdzl4l.jpg

I'm getting the hydraulic power pack tomorrow and maybe I'll even get that all hooked up.

I ordered this little manual mill oiler from ebay today.$T2eC16R,!)YFIccvWYqwBSS0S08Yl!~~60_57.JPGIt had an electric automatic oiler on it before, but I didn't want to spend the money for one of those right now. This one will do just fine, I think.

I need some grinding wheels for it and a diamond dresser.
I also need to get a 6x12 magnetic chuck for it. The 6x18 that I have is too long, it won't bolt up to the table. If anybody has a 6x12 magnetic chuck that they'd like to trade for the 6x18 that I have, send me a note.

Now to the DRO situation.... I looked around on ebay for a used acu-rite display, here's what I found. The working Acu-rite displays are selling for upwards of $300. They're getting $200-$300 for parts displays. First off none of them are for a SG with the y and z label. That's not really a deal breaker, I can just make a new label for one of the axis. Then I found these:
$(KGrHqFHJC8FCbJLCPu5BQsUbznjRg~~60_57.JPG http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-axis-Jeni...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item3a89d8b639and I think I might even be able to get one that's labeled correctly. It comes with the correct adaptors to function with my scales. See one of my pictures above for the round connector style of my acu-rite scales.

Does anyone know which DRO displays will work with the scales that I have, other than what I've found? I'd like to find something for under $300, if at all possible.

Any reccomendations and a good source for 6" grinding wheels for the SG?

Marcel

$T2eC16R,!)YFIccvWYqwBSS0S08Yl!~~60_57.JPG $(KGrHqFHJC8FCbJLCPu5BQsUbznjRg~~60_57.JPG

20140111_190520_zpswibdzl4l.jpg

Last edited:
Marcel,

The only reliable source of new-manufacture wheels that I know of is MSCDirect.com

You can also check eBay and you'll find a few places selling NOS condition wheels but, it's hit or miss.

BTW: I'd recommend starting-out with some basic 46 and 60 grit wheels in 1/2" or possibly 1" width. It's more likely the 1/2" wide wheels wont be too far out of balance. Unless you're grinding a piece with a lot of surface area, a 1/2" wide wheel is adequate.

Ray

Marcel,

The only reliable source of new-manufacture wheels that I know of is MSCDirect.com

You can also check eBay and you'll find a few places selling NOS condition wheels but, it's hit or miss.

BTW: I'd recommend starting-out with some basic 46 and 60 grit wheels in 1/2" or possibly 1" width. It's more likely the 1/2" wide wheels wont be too far out of balance. Unless you're grinding a piece with a lot of surface area, a 1/2" wide wheel is adequate.

Ray
I'll probably go with the 1/2" width grinding wheels. Have you ever bought wheels from Enco? MSC has everything, but they're expensive compared to just about everybody.

I'll probably go with the 1/2" width grinding wheels. Have you ever bought wheels from Enco? MSC has everything, but they're expensive compared to just about everybody.

KBC, Travers, Penn Tool, Enco and others all sell new grinding wheels. There are also several sellers on eBay who sell new and NOS wheels. The eBay sellers usually have the best pricing. If you don't like the pricing on eBay send the seller an offer and they'll likely accept it or at least make a counteroffer. Do this even if they don't offer the "Or Best Offer" option.
CGW or Camel brand wheels are high quality Israeli made wheels and the eBay seller Bay State Abrasives sells them and they are really good to deal with.

The DoALL is really looking good! You got a great machine tool here and even after purchasing a DRO display and a hydraulic system you'll be into it for pretty small money and have a nicely outfitted SG.

BTW, the first thing I thought when I read that hydraulics was your favorite course in college was that college girls were my favorite course in college!

Last edited:
The DoALL is really looking good! You got a great machine tool here and even after purchasing a DRO display and a hydraulic system you'll be into it for pretty small money and have a nicely outfitted SG.

BTW, the first thing I thought when I read that hydraulics was your favorite course in college was that college girls were my favorite course in college!
When I was in college, it was a technical college, there was probably 5 women out of 300 students. There was one hottie and everyone was hitting on her. She must have thought she was cleopatra! :)) In a way it's a good thing that there were no women in that school, I really learned a lot there and got good grades. I'm not sure that would have been the case with pooner distractions. :whistle:

I went to pick up the Vickers power pack this afternoon. It's big and heavy. It probably weighs as much as the darn SG! Paid $175 for it. It's full of nice clean hydraulic oil too.

Here it is in all it's​ Ugly magnificence!

20140112_195521_zpsap7xsakv.jpg

This thing came from the Colgate/palmolive aerosol production line. It's a beast.

I gotta go to Tractor supply and buy some fittings and a filter assembly for it tomorrow morning. I think I'm gonna put some quick couplers on it so that it can be used to power up other items. Maybe one day I'll build me a killer hydraulic press. :))

20140112_195521_zpsap7xsakv.jpg

I just won the acu-rite display on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/261364436080?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

$_57.JPG

I got the Vickers fired up. I think the pressure guage is shot. The needle is gone, so I made one out of a clock hand but it's still not registering. When I pressurize it with the relief valve and close off the bypass valve, I can here the pump and motor groaning like it's pressurizing. I'll have to pick up a new gauge for it.

I'll probably be into this SG for about $1000 when all is said and done. I wanted to get off a little cheaper, but I guess that's not bad for a SG with a Nice DRO and hydraulics.

$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats on the AcuRite display. Combined with those .0001 scales you'll have a heck of a good DRO system.

$1000 for a low hour, mid-'70s SG with hydraulics and a great DRO, along with the wheel adaptors you got isn't a bad deal and once you've used it for a while I predict you'll find yourself wondering why you went without a SG for so long.

Hey, off topic but do you know if they sold that Harig SG too when they sold your DoALL? No real reason, just curious I guess.

Back