And I thought I'd seen in all on Craigslist

alloy

Dan, Retired old fart
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guy has two transmission for sale and I emailed him about them.

This is the response I got.

I'm not sure how to respond to this moron. Apparently he does not want my money.
To

(his reply)

dumb reply try again

In a message dated 5/23/2017 12:45:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, d7e85c00141437ef8b90b4737fc20a47@reply.craigslist.org writes:

(original message)

I'm interested in the transmissions.

When and where can I pick them up?

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/6144676252.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He must think you are a scammer. I hate Craigslist but use it from time to time.

If you are interested, ask the guy to call you.

He won't respond now. Still has the ad up.

I really don't see how my message looks like I'm trying to scam him.

Takes all kinds I guess.

I agree with you.

But I have had folks say they want it without any discussion and that's usually an indicator of something not going on well. He must not have believed you since you had no questions, etc.

Well he gave all the info I need to know I want to buy them. I don't know what else I could have said.

I could have made a nice profit on them. This last weekend at a swap meet I sold 4 transmissions and I have no stock left now.

Many scam emails on cl and often folks fish first via "do you have these" and sellers often do not respond...we get that often.

Favorite one was asking if we still had the car relating to an add for gourds...

Replied we did and had fun with that one...

Ask question such as year make or fit so seller does not think your agent will look...

After an exchange of information then provide or ask for phone number

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

In my CL ads I put something like "include the word 'persimmon' in the title of your message or I will not read it"

I do this because I get random spam/scam that looks a lot like your original message.
If the scammers/spammers are lazy, they will just say "Do you still have this?"
If they feel like working for extra credit they will copy/paste the title of my ad: "Do you still have the 1999 Dodge van with many upgrades?"
(actually they probably have a bot script that does the copy/paste & emailing automatically)

Now that doesn't mean that I'm defending your seller. He's still an ignoramus. If you get a CL email that you suspect is scam/spam, you simply ignore it. You do NOT reply to it, because then the scammer/spammer has your real email address, not the CL-spoofed dummy address.

I say the above you give you a tip in replying to these sellers.
Maybe say something like "Hi I'm Chuck, can you give me a call about the two transmissions you're selling? my number is xxxxxxx."

Or just stay away from CL altogether; it's filled to the gills with idiots and shysters.

He gave the tag number on the trans and that told me it was a coveted V8 one. There wasn't anything else I needed to know other than where he was and when I could get it.

I would have happily given him double his asking price for it. After changing out the tail housing I can easily sell it for $1200.

I sold a V6 Ford T5 at the swap meet this last weekend for $800. And this one was a V8 and very hard to come by for a decent price.

Yeah I saw it was pulled.

I will keep looking for more.

I have a search set up on CL that emails me when my keywords come up. Works pretty well, got a notice of this ad in less than 10 minutes after it was posted.

Back