An Ultimate Hand Scraped Surface Plate

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was at a shop today that does machine rebuilding. I was admiring the awesome surface plate that they use and got a few photos. The base is from a Minster Machine punch press and the top is 6" x 4' x 8' cast iron, hand scraped to with 4 tenths.
159992125.Cw2WrGGF.surfaceplate01.jpg
159992126.sBr6tSM7.surfaceplate02.jpg

They also had a Bridgeport that they just finished rebuilding to original Bridgeport specs. (other than paint).
How pretty is this table and ways?
159992124.f0NvJjoB.bridgeport.jpg

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Thanks for sharing that, Jack. That is an awesome chunk of iron!

Was 4-tenths a typo, or did you mean 4 ten-thousandths?

One would assume that 4 tenths meant .0004 inches.

:)

I thought that might be the case, Jack. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the new (for me) info on machinist lingo.

Awesome. That is one solid heavy table. The one I used at work is the same size but granite.
That is a monumental piece of work in both photos. Thanks.

How would you even scrape something that large? What would you use as a reference? Enlighten me please!

How would you even scrape something that large? What would you use as a reference? Enlighten me please!
This company rebuilds large punch presses, so they probably didn't have much problem working on it. In their shop, they had quite a few large precision straight edges (4" x 4" x 8', etc.). ,so that is probably what you would use for something like this.

Back