An Electrical "Upgrade" Project.

projectnut

Registered
Registered
I stopped by a friend's commercial shop earlier this week just to chat. While there I noticed he had a 5K skid mounted military generator (MEP 002A) in the lot. When I asked what it was for, he said "nothing, would you like to buy it?" I pondered it for a few minutes then told him I'd do a little research and get back to him. While the unit only puts out 5K, it's capable of 120 single phase, 220 single phase, and 220 3 phase. If I can get it up and running it would be an ideal power source for the 3 phase machines in the shop.

I stopped by again today, got some pictures and looked for some information. It seems all the technical and operational manuals are still available, and most are free of charge. Both the engine and generator are made by Onan, and parts seem to be plentiful. I decided to take a chance and make the purchase. Hopefully I can get it running without investing too much time and money. For the near future I'll work on it at his shop. I have to complete installing the crane on the trailer before hauling it home.

Here are a few pictures as it sits today.

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1920.jpg
    IMG_1920.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1922.jpg
    IMG_1922.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 43
Hi Onan makes a very nice and reliable generator. it's worth having, Onan parts are very pricy, but I am guessing that it will probably run just fine without too much trouble.

Nice find. From what I can find via google, it is a diesel? Normally I'd expect something in the 5kw range to be gasoline, but I could see the military preferring diesel.

reminds me of when I was in high-school a friend and myself got ahold of a military surplus generator that was in bad shape. We had grand plans for getting it working and renting out on our way to fame and fortune. Reality crashed down around us when we realized it output 400hz.

Fortunately, this one is the most common voltages (120 single phase, 220 single phase, and 220 3 phase) 60hz.

I was wondering what fuel also- I'm betting gasoline

reminds me of when I was in high-school a friend and myself got ahold of a military surplus generator that was in bad shape. We had grand plans for getting it working and renting out on our way to fame and fortune. Reality crashed down around us when we realized it output 400hz.
Back in the '50's and '6's, military surplus was advertised in many of the magazines of the time. I bought a 30KW aircraft generator with the intent of using it on a wind generator. It was a 400hz unit too, 208 volt 3 phase. This wasn't a problem since I intended to convert to d.c and run a 60hz inverter. Unfortunately, it generated full output at 8,000 rpm and wasn't really practical. It is still sitting in my barn awaiting some application.

I must have done something right for a change, or maybe it's the result of the eclipse, but in any case, a couple major projects are actually starting to come together. The crane I ordered for the trailer is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Late tomorrow afternoon or early Friday morning we're heading to the cottage to do a little more on the pier decking project. While there I'll hook up the trailer and bring it home to start installing the crane.

I need some plates welded to the trailer frame to mount the crane so it will be off to my friend's commercial shop to get that done. While I'm there I can test it out by using it to lift the 960 lb. (dry weight) generator into the trailer and bring it home to work on it.

I bought a 3kw, military surplus, generator over 20 years ago. It was from the early 70's but started fight up. One thing I heard about these generators, they are under-rated for power, meaning they actually can give a bit more power than specified. Apparently it's because the military wants it to guarantee the rated output, under the worst conditions.

Back