• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

American rotary phase convertors ?

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

tjb

Terry
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I love mine. I run a 2HP Bridgeport clone, a 2HP lathe and a 3HP lathe on it. I don't recall ever having run more than one piece of equipment at a time, but I suspect it might not be a problem. Never had any problems with it, and would recommend it to anyone.

bobdog

Grandson Lil Rebel Minibike
I love mine. I run a 2HP Bridgeport clone, a 2HP lathe and a 3HP lathe on it. I don't recall ever having run more than one piece of equipment at a time, but I suspect it might not be a problem. Never had any problems with it, and would recommend it to anyone.
Is yours a AR5 or what model is yours ?

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I bought a 10 hp American rotary RPC several years ago to power a three-phase lathe, and to provide 3 p power when if I ever needed it. I’ve been very happy with the equipment and can speak highly for the responsiveness of the company and their Staff.

Since them I found three additional three phase machines to add to the shop that I could never could have operated if it were not for the RPC. Just three years ago 110 to 220 3 phase VFD’s were very expensive and not readily available. So it made more sense to buy an RPC, than it does today.

This week I bought a TECO 110 to 220 v 3phase VFD to install on a pedestal grinder. it was only $125. And it works perfectly at a fraction of the cost of the RPC.

So now days I think I would go with the VFD and pass on purchasing another RPC. Your machine will have a lot more flexibility and greater resell value if you can plug it into a 110 outlet then operate it on three phase.

Just be careful they are not the end-all, for example working with multiple motors on the same machine and particularly two speed motors is difficult if not impossible with one VFD.

Glenn

tjb

Terry
Is yours a AR5 or what model is yours ?
Sorry for the slow response. Just got back to my computer. I'll look at the model # in the AM and post the info.

Regards

Holescreek

Active User
I've been running a VS Bridgeport, a surface grinder, and a Deckel SO grinder from their 3HP model (not at the same time of course) for about 12 years without issue. I run two other lathes and another Bridgeport (step pulley) from VFD's. When it came time to help get a friends shop set up I installed the same 3HP model RPC for him to run a Cincy Toolmaster and a 15" LeBlond.

bobdog

I think Im going with RPC instead of VFDs because I can run more machines off of it and move it around when I buy new ones. Alot of money for VFD s for alot of machines when I can have one RPC and switch to all of them . Its a hobby not a business not running all at once ....... Thanks to all

tjb

Terry
I think Im going with RPC instead of VFDs because I can run more machines off of it and move it around when I buy new ones. Alot of money for VFD s for alot of machines when I can have one RPC and switch to all of them . Its a hobby not a business not running all at once ....... Thanks to all
Personally, I think that's a wise choice. I have zero complaints with mine. Do you still want me to send you the model number/specs on mine?

Regards,
Terry

N2XD

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
I use a 5HP model on a surface grinder ad am very pleased with it.

bobdog

Personally, I think that's a wise choice. I have zero complaints with mine. Do you still want me to send you the model number/specs on mine?

Regards,
Terry
Yes that would be helpful

Doubleeboy

Active User
If you are going to run a surface grinder and want mirror finishes I would go with a Phase Perfect RPC, spendy, but ordinary phase converters that have a wild leg with voltage hi or low will likely give you less than optimal surface finish. I know more than one person who turns on every machine the RPC will handle at one time to balance the load some and get better surface finishes, or you can just pay the bucks and buy a Phase Perfect. My one friend who has one gets better surface finishes with his SG than he did with true 3 phase in his old shop. If you don't need mirror finish this level of cool is not needed but if you want it or need it the Phase Perfect rotaries are in a class by themselves.

tjb

Terry
Yes that would be helpful
Sorry for being slow. Hopefully, not TOO slow for your use. My phase converter is an AR10. That makes it a 10 hp converter. I remember when I was doing the research, I was advised by American Rotary and a friend who helped me install it (a real pro - no joke - this is the kind of stuff he does for a living), you should get a converter that is at least twice the horsepower of the largest piece of equipment you plan to run on it. I have a 3HP lathe, so I figured I might as well go a little stronger just in case I ever got something in the 4 - 5 HP range. That will probably never happen, but this is a case of 'buy it right the first time and you only buy it once'.

In any event, I've had excellent use out of mine. Never had any overheating or overload problems. That may be a function of the 10 hp model, so you might want to consider spending a little more on that - call it sleep insurance.

Hope this helps, and let us all know what you end up buying.

Regards

bobdog

Sorry for being slow. Hopefully, not TOO slow for your use. My phase converter is an AR10. That makes it a 10 hp converter. I remember when I was doing the research, I was advised by American Rotary and a friend who helped me install it (a real pro - no joke - this is the kind of stuff he does for a living), you should get a converter that is at least twice the horsepower of the largest piece of equipment you plan to run on it. I have a 3HP lathe, so I figured I might as well go a little stronger just in case I ever got something in the 4 - 5 HP range. That will probably never happen, but this is a case of 'buy it right the first time and you only buy it once'.

In any event, I've had excellent use out of mine. Never had any overheating or overload problems. That may be a function of the 10 hp model, so you might want to consider spending a little more on that - call it sleep insurance.

Hope this helps, and let us all know what you end up buying.

Regards
Thanks for the help

gi_984

Active User
I've had the AR 7.5 for around three years. My experience with the brand is similar. Works perfect. Zero issues. My electrician does commercial work for hospitals & manufacturing. He has a lot of experience with phase converters in those settings. He said it was the nicest one he ever installed. Push button start and instant 3-phase power to my shop. Five different dedicated outlets. I can run any one machine or all the machines at the same time without any change in the low hum of the motor/converter. Beautiful finish on parts whether it is the surface grinder, mill, or lathe. I also added the recommended cut out switch between the outlets and the converter. Very inexpensive safety feature.
My recommendations:
1. Get one.
2. Get several sizes bigger than you think. Wish I now had a 10.
3. Install using conduit along the base of the walls or whatever. Much easier to change/move outlets when you add or move machines. I had mine run thru the walls before insulation and sheetrock went up. So a lot more work to modify the circuit.
4. If you really want a fine rpm control on a machine, then add a VFD to that specific machine. But beware of overheating issues if you slow some of the motors down too much. Additionally if the VFD goes out it is probably cheaper to throw it away than to try to troubleshoot/fix.

bobdog

I've had the AR 7.5 for around three years. My experience with the brand is similar. Works perfect. Zero issues. My electrician does commercial work for hospitals & manufacturing. He has a lot of experience with phase converters in those settings. He said it was the nicest one he ever installed. Push button start and instant 3-phase power to my shop. Five different dedicated outlets. I can run any one machine or all the machines at the same time without any change in the low hum of the motor/converter. Beautiful finish on parts whether it is the surface grinder, mill, or lathe. I also added the recommended cut out switch between the outlets and the converter. Very inexpensive safety feature.
My recommendations:
1. Get one.
2. Get several sizes bigger than you think. Wish I now had a 10.
3. Install using conduit along the base of the walls or whatever. Much easier to change/move outlets when you add or move machines. I had mine run thru the walls before insulation and sheetrock went up. So a lot more work to modify the circuit.
4. If you really want a fine rpm control on a machine, then add a VFD to that specific machine. But beware of overheating issues if you slow some of the motors down too much. Additionally if the VFD goes out it is probably cheaper to throw it away than to try to troubleshoot/fix.
Thanks for advice I think I will get one have heard nothing but great things about them. And would like to use it for all my machines. Dont want to buy 4 VFDs And have old motors that VFDs dont like . Dont need speed changes have Vari-speed on machines already

gi_984

Active User
Thanks for advice I think I will get one have heard nothing but great things about them. And would like to use it for all my machines. Dont want to buy 4 VFDs And have old motors that VFDs dont like . Dont need speed changes have Vari-speed on machines already
Give them a call. They might be having a sale for the Thanksgiving weekend shopping frenzy.

dennys502

I've got the AD10. I had an AR5 but had to upgrade when I got my 13 x 40 Clausing Colchester lathe. I run my mill, lathe and surface grinder along with the power feed on my radial arm saw. They work great and I've never had any issues with them.

[6]
5 [7]