American Pacemaker

Looking at older, but not old tools, I wouldn't pass on a somewhat obscure and difficult to find Japanese manual lathe. My experience with the few I have run are generally every bit as good, and in some cases better than comparable American pieces. And also not to be overlooked are S. Korean machines, although perhaps even more difficult to find. Parts for any of these machines are still available, although the led time to get them may be hard to take.

One of the best turret lathes I have run was a Metric Kia-Seiki. Very tight, very fast. Making Imperial parts on a Metric machine was a little hard to get used to, but was a treat once I got used to it. I was about the only one in the shop that was willing to run it. The only thing I didn't like was the spindle centerline. Too close to the floor. I'm 6'2", and that was tough on my back.

Looking at older, but not old tools, I wouldn't pass on a somewhat obscure and difficult to find Japanese manual lathe. My experience with the few I have run are generally every bit as good, and in some cases better than comparable American pieces. And also not to be overlooked are S. Korean machines, although perhaps even more difficult to find. Parts for any of these machines are still available, although the led time to get them may be hard to take.

One of the best turret lathes I have run was a Metric Kia-Seiki. Very tight, very fast. Making Imperial parts on a Metric machine was a little hard to get used to, but was a treat once I got used to it. I was about the only one in the shop that was willing to run it. The only thing I didn't like was the spindle centerline. Too close to the floor. I'm 6'2", and that was tough on my back.

For the most part I will be making imperial parts, I don't want to, be wouldn't mind making metric to inch conversions if it was a good machine. The only thing is I want to mainly make Imperial threads, but be able to make metric threads if need be.

I understand the height thing, I am not quite as tall as you, only 6', but my back hurts me alot too when I am in certian positions. I never used a lathe before, so I don't know what height I really need for lathe work, but I am sure I could raise it a little if need be.

Thanks for everones help.

Well, I didn't mean to give the impression that all Japanese machines would be Metric, but was giving an example of what I considered to be a very high quality machine tool. Whacheon, Mazak, Dianichi, Mori-Seiki, Okuma, and others all make fine machines for the American market, in Imperial. I'd take a Japanese precision lathe over a mainland Chinese if possible. These companies don't make "hobby" equipment, so size for size they will generally cost more than a Chinese lathe of the same size, but you will get substantially more machine per dollar. I don't have a problem with Chinese machines in general, and certainly not because of any political motivation. It's about the machine and the money with me. But then, this isn't a hobby for me yet. I'm not ready to fully retire and play just yet.

Well, I didn't mean to give the impression that all Japanese machines would be Metric, but was giving an example of what I considered to be a very high quality machine tool. Whacheon, Mazak, Dianichi, Mori-Seiki, Okuma, and others all make fine machines for the American market, in Imperial. I'd take a Japanese precision lathe over a mainland Chinese if possible. These companies don't make "hobby" equipment, so size for size they will generally cost more than a Chinese lathe of the same size, but you will get substantially more machine per dollar. I don't have a problem with Chinese machines in general, and certainly not because of any political motivation. It's about the machine and the money with me. But then, this isn't a hobby for me yet. I'm not ready to fully retire and play just yet.

I am sorry that is not what I want meant to imply, I know they are all not in metric. I quess what I was trying to say was if a certain make was all metric, but a great machine I could deal with it.

Gotcha, Jonathan. I just think you should keep your eyes and options open. There are sweet machines out there for those who are patient, and know what to look for and what to avoid.

Gotcha, Jonathan. I just think you should keep your eyes and options open. There are sweet machines out there for those who are patient, and know what to look for and what to avoid.

Thanks, I am keeping my eyes open. Searching the internet for machines, and reading a lot of stuff about lathes. I am havingg a little trouble typing tonight, and going out of town for the weekend tomorrow, and don't have internet or much cell service where i am going, so it may not be tell Sunday evening before I get back to yall sorry.

I am just looking for the best advice, american or not. The main thing is my requirements, 220v, roughly 12x36, good condition, last me forever, not going to be used 40 hours a week, may not even be 8 hours every month every year. I don't want to buy small or really cheap one, than have to upgrade to what i really need in the near future. I really don't want to spend more than 4k, but I could swing 6k if it was a great machine. If i know i would be making money off of the machine, I wouldn't mind spending alot of money on one. But, i don't think i will be making alot of money using the lathe. I may over a few years make enough too pay for the machine, but who knows i may find that i really want to do lathe work a good bit and make some extra side money.

I don't care about being called a newbie. I just hope I catch on quick, which I think I will.

I have recently been able to run a 12x40 Acer lathe [Taiwan built], and three different Acer mills, found them all pretty nice machines; certainly would bring one home if opportunity arose. Parts for these machines are readily available, and affordable.

I really don't understand the need for 2000 RPM I don't think I've had my South Bend Lathe higher than the lowest speed.

And I was maching cast iron on my LeBlond yesterday at 135 Rpm and got a good finish. The reason for the low speed was I was taking such heavy cut.

I did have a Butler 550 that would run at 2000 RPM I gave it away cides it was to new for me.

The top speed on the LeBlond is 750 RPM but I don't think I'll ever use it.

Paul

Back