American Pacemaker

jonathan01

Active User
Registered
Hello everyone, I am looking to getting into doing some stuff on a lathe, than after while look at getting a mill. I was told not to get a chinese machine,and look at some older american made lathes. I was told that it would costs me more but I would be better off with American. They have an American Pacemaker 14x36 that is for sale in my area. The ad for it says it was prefectly mantained, (but it doesn't say it dosn't have any wear). How much would yall think this is worth? I was told to check lathes for bed wear in the first 8 inches or so, by using a straight edge and a feeler guage. I think I was told if it's more than 0.005 (5 thousandths) it's too much wear. I am just wanting to get into a little machine work, maybe a a couple side jobs to help pay for the machines.

Thanks for any help yall can give me.

That is a LOT of lathe for a home shop. Is it the one listed on Craigs List in New Orleans? If so, it has a 480 volt motor (probably 5 HP or more) and it weighs 2500 pounds. A lathe like that would be great for turning large parts but would be a real pain to use on smaller stuff like most of us make in out home shops. It also has a top speed of 1000 rpm, which is way to slow for machining small parts or turning small diameter drills. Also, parts for a lathe like that are pretty much impossible to find and/or very expensive. If you have the work to support a lathe as large as this, it's a very good machine. If not, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for something smaller. Look for names like South Bend, Clausing, Logan, Leblond, Hardinge, etc.

Tom

That is a lot of lathe for a home shop. Is it the one listed on Craigs List in New Orleans? If so, it has a 480 volt motor (probably 5 HP or more) and it weighs 2500 pounds. A lathe like that would be great for turning large parts but would be a real pain to use on smaller stuff like most of us make in out home shops. It also has a top speed of 1000 rpm, which is way to slow for machining small parts or turning small diameter drills. If you have the work to support a lathe as large as this, it's a very good machine. Otherwise, I'd look for something smaller.

Tom

Yes it is, and the two things you pointed out is what i was worried about. 480v and the top speed of 1000 rpm, the weight doesn't really matter to me. What would you say the lowest top rpm be that it can get away with, 1400, 1800? One part that I know I would be making a good bit of is about 2.5" long with 1" being 0.5" od, and 1.25" being 5/16" od, and a taper between the two about a 0.25" long. Which this would be made out of 440c SS or or other kind of SS. Also the part needs to have a hole drill in the 0.5" side with in internal thread in it.

Any other lathes yall can point out for me to keep an eye out for?

If you can ask at the local schools what they are using to teach budding machinist. The schools are usually not too too far behind on technology. And also grab one of their text books makes for light reading.

Any other lathes yall can point out for me to keep an eye out for?

Look for anything that has V ways with names like South Bend, Clausing, Logan, Hardinge, Sheldon or any of the smaller Leblonds. Something that is capable of 2000 rpm is useful.

Tom

Something that is capable of 2000 rpm is useful.

Tom

Yes, this what I am basicly looking for a 220v two or three phase 12x36 that has a speed of 2000 rpm, also low rpm to cut threads. I want a 12x36, so I will have the capabilty to turn larger parts, but I need to be able to turn smaller parts too.

Thanks for everyones help.

Rick, I was looking at a Grizzly 4003G or 4003 not sure of the difference the gunsmith is, and the PM1236. I just about had my mind set on the PM1236 with the perferred package. Then talked to a friend of my dads and was told not to get chinese. But I am sure that is a view he has because of the older chinese. From what I am reading the older chinese were really junk but not now.

I liked the PM1236 because of the 1.5" bore, 65 to 1810rpms, and from what I understand PM uses better bearings than most other do. I would rather a top rpm of 2500 though, to have if I need it.

This is my view on shipping damage. Shipping damage is shipping damage. American machines are shiped the same way as chinese are. Yes you probably pack the american machines better, and the chinese machines have to be shiped overseas, and than put on a truck. But I also would say that the company based in the US would check the machine out for damage and do some run out test and such things on it before they ship it to your house. Also the US company so repack it better for shipping. If the US companys does these things, thenthe only damaged parts would be from the US shipping company, like UPS or fedex.

As for rpm, I don't really see myself turning anything less than 1/4". I will want to turn everthing from AL to SS.

OK, here is my 2 cents worth. In the past 20 years Asian machines have really improved in quality. I have an excellent South Bend Model A, with all the bells and whistles, it came out of a mining laboratory, and had been stored covered for probably 30 years. If I needed to replace it I would not waste my time looking for an American made lathe. The hassle of trying to find a good one is very frustrating. As mentioned by others here, finding parts for older American machines is at best a nightmare, what few parts are available are greatly overpriced, and usually worn out. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Asian machine from a reputable dealer, who has a good spare parts supply. I have friends here that have done so, and are very happy with them. A word of advice, get all the attachments when you buy the machine, including a good quality quick-change tool post and plenty of holders. I have a Chinese mill-drill that I am very well satisfied with, had to do a little tweaking on it to get it adjusted properly but it will hold tolerance to .0005, and I have done a ton of machining with it. FWIW, I am a retired machinist, and my home shop is where the fun is.:biggrin: Also, when you buy the machine, get a GOOD quality tailstock drill chuck, and GOOD quality live centers and dead centers.

Back