Amazon Machine LED Waterproof Worklight

Papa Charlie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
We had a thread where a member asked for machine work like recommendations. One recommendation was a light offered on Amazon. I have looked at this light many times but was hesitant in purchasing a Chinese made light from Amazon, but decided to bite the bullet and purchase to see if it was worth the effort and price.
I posted my purchase on the thread "What did you buy today" and others asked me to provide a review on it. So here it is.

First, here is the light that I ordered.

Surprising enough, I ordered the light on Friday, December 4th and received it on Sunday, December 6th. Not bad at all. It came via USPS, which also surprised me for the speed.

Here is what I received. Some assembly required. Not a big deal.

IMG_20201208_072549937.jpg

I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality. It was heavier than I thought it would be and seems to be well made. Time will tell. The reach is not as long as some of the tool manufacturers like PM and Grizzly provide on their machines but if you really need more than this offers you could replace the rectangular aluminum upper arm between the two pivot points with a longer piece. Although finding the right piece with the correct OD and ID may be a bit of a challenge.
But from what I can see, I think the length will be more than sufficient. My lathe is in storage and I have not yet figured out where I would mount it, but if the length is too short to mount to the back splash, I could always mount it to the carriage, which may not be a bad idea at all. Will have to see and will update this when I do install it.

As for the amount of illumination that it provides, I think this is going to be more than adequate for the task. I have operated lathes and mills with the halogen lights and burned myself on more than one occasion, so the LED will be a huge benefit and the lack of heat also makes it more comfortable to work in close proximity to.

I wanted you to see how much light it put out. So I used my reloading rig as a test case. Here is my progressive reloader with only the light from the Pilothouse.

IMG_20201209_151644324.jpg

And here it is with the light on it. I think this will work very well. The light is about 1.5 to 2.0 feet away from the reloader and I am holding it to the table in one hand and the phone in the other.

IMG_20201209_151653286.jpg

All in all, it isn't a $300 light at a price of $69, and I wouldn't expect it to perform as well as one or a Halogen light. But I think this will work very well. If you are contemplating a machine task light, I would recommend it. If you expect this to perform as well as something costing you more than 4 times the price, you may not be happy.

Back