Amazon CNC starter machine?

thequintessentialman

Registered
Registered
I've been toying with the idea of getting a machine tool for the garage for some time now but life keeps getting in the way (I travel a lot for work). Meanwhile I've been accumulating Amazon points from rewards from various programs (gift cards) so now have about $3k to spend on a machine tool. Also I've been dabbling with a 3D printer, Fusion 360, Gcode, and other related stuff. What are some decent "starter"machine tools I can acquire for that price range that are upgradeable to CNC after I figure out what I'm doing? I started down this road a few years ago but as stated, other things got in the way. Now as I approach retirement I figured I should pick up the pace. I'm starting to figure out these things are like boats; too small for what I want to do but too big to tow, and much more expensive than budgeted.

As much as I love my two mills, I would opt for a lathe as a first machine. It is arguably less expensive with regard to tooling, and accessories and generally, you will get much more machine for your money. I use HHS steel and brazed carbide tooling for the most part because the tools can be reground to as new condition so one tool can last for years if not decades. You will need measuring tools; calipers, micrometers, a dial test indicator, etc. You will need a chuck for the tailstock and probably want to upgrade to a QCTP and holders although the latter isn't a necessity. A set of drills and a boring bar will also be on the list.

A mill would be a second machine choice. Expect to add a considerable amount for tooling though. End mills, collets, drill chuck with adapter for your particular spindle, the same measuring tools listed above, a decent machine vise, and a clamping set are some of the tools you will need. A boring head and face mill would be nice additions.

As much as I love my two mills, I would opt for a lathe as a first machine. It is arguably less expensive with regard to tooling, and accessories and generally, you will get much more machine for your money. I use HHS steel and brazed carbide tooling for the most part because the tools can be reground to as new condition so one tool can last for years if not decades. You will need measuring tools; calipers, micrometers, a dial test indicator, etc. You will need a chuck for the tailstock and probably want to upgrade to a QCTP and holders although the latter isn't a necessity. A set of drills and a boring bar will also be on the list.

A mill would be a second machine choice. Expect to add a considerable amount for tooling though. End mills, collets, drill chuck with adapter for your particular spindle, the same measuring tools listed above, a decent machine vise, and a clamping set are some of the tools you will need. A boring head and face mill would be nice additions.
I've seen this mentioned before in other discussions and videos, I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around it at my level of "beginnerness". There was something about a mill being a specialized vertical lathe. I already have a floor standing drill press if that matters any.

I've seen this mentioned before in other discussions and videos, I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around it at my level of "beginnerness". There was something about a mill being a specialized vertical lathe. I already have a floor standing drill press if that matters any.
When I retired, I gifted myself with a Tormach CNC mil. I have used it as a vertical lathe but it's utility is limited. The spindle on a mill isn't really designed to swing a large chuck as is typical on a lathe. There is no pass through the spindle due to the drawbar requirement and the vertical travel is limited. This essentially limits you to short, small diameter work. My 2011 cost for a well equipped CNC was over $14K. My 2013 ost for
fairly well equipped 10x22 lathe was a tenth of that.

In the price range you are looking at, you are going to be limited to a desktop round column or square column mill. If you are planning to eventually convert to CNC, that would eliminate the round column mill. If your heart is set on CNC milling, you might consider a CNC router. They are relatively inexpensive and are getting more robust. Milling aluminum and other soft metals is within their range. They are limited in the size of the work envelope but, depending on your anticipated use, they could work fairly well.

Well for budgetary reasons (mainly getting it past my accountant... but I married her so my problem) Amazon would be best; that is where I've been saving points. I'm open to any ideas...
I understand your logic, I used points from our credit card to purchase a trolling motor and a GPS/sonar unit for my fishing boat. Cashless transactions in both cases.

You could convert your Amazon points to cash by using them to purchase other necessities and banking the cash you would have spent. You will need buy-in from your accountant, of course.

Small CNC milling machines can be fun- I don't see as much utility with a CNC lathe unless you want to make a lot of the same part
in which case you are getting out of the hobby realm into more of a production situation
Buy a milling machine with a belt drive spindle rather than fragile plastic gears
A lot of people converted the Grizzly 0704 machine but usually bust the gears and convert to belt drive eventually
Might as well start with belt drive from the get go- The Precision Matthews PM25 for example would be a good candidate

Last edited:
Well for budgetary reasons (mainly getting it past my accountant... but I married her so my problem) Amazon would be best; that is where I've been saving points. I'm open to any ideas...
The reason I ask is $3k would get you a fairly nice used lathe, or possibly a lathe and a mill. I have a 12x36 lathe and a 3/4 size Bridgeport clone and I have less than that into both.

Of course, these aren't my first machines and I had to be patient with cash on hand, and I had to be fairly confident I knew how to evaluate used machines. But, that's not a bad starting budget and you can find even new machines in that price point, just probably not anything worth buying on Amazon.

Yes, you do want a lathe first. If you haven't already download or buy a copy of South Bends "how to run a lathe" and read it. The reality is there are many things you can do on a lathe that you think you need a mill for, but not so much the opposite. You can learn the basics of materials, speeds & feeds, tool geometry, etc. which will all be needed as you progress.

Not saying you "should" buy anything in particular but here's an offer on Craigslist that would be of interest to me if I were getting started.

Here's another in Dallas that might make a good starter machine for half your proposed budget

So, If I were you I would turn your Amazon largess over to the CFO in exchange for a similar cash budget and pursue a lathe (either new or used). Often machine tools purchased for hobby use are in quite good condition as the owners are unable to use them anymore like the first add. People here on this list can assist in evaluating machines from photos, or possibly in person if they're close by.

We're all interested in helping spend your money and want to see you get the best value from it. You're started down a path that has no end so make sure to bring some friends along who can help guide your journey.

Cheers,

John

Back