Amazing machinery!

Thanks for posting that, Charlie. I had no idea such a thing existed. If there was a word to describe how mind boggling that doll is, just think, it could write it!

Tom

Hi, All,

I was so amazed by this that I thought I'd share it with you guys. No, it's not spam. It's an amazing piece of machinery from the late 1700s...

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/the-writer-automaton

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did...

Charlie- I must have seen this somewhere before, but it was before I was into machining, and forgot about it! Wow!

How incredible for it's time too! I guess I have to put one of those WAYY back on the project list :)

Bernie

That is amazing...I would like to know now long it took to make and what kind of tooling he used to fabricate this "Amazing" project.

Thanks Charlie, amazing. I wonder if the watchmaker had the design all in his head, drew up plans or had some special way of planning the work.

The doll reminds me of the big mechanical office calculators that were common back in the 60s before electronic calculators came out.

hhhgnghnjmgnn sorry, that was from my jaw dropping to the keyboard as i watched the video. amazing, im speechless!

I can understand the mechanics behind it all, but the thing that I am having a hard time understanding is first WHY did he build such a device, and secondly, where and how did he even begin to start the plans for it??? Simply amazing, and I am in total awe each time I watch the video, but I still just cannot imagine how he even started the planning stage!

Now that is engineering! I wonder how long it took to design such a clever automaton....

In the 17 th century, they could do pretty much anything that we can do today. It just took a lot longer.

In the 17 th century, they could do pretty much anything that we can do today. It just took a lot longer.

My first job in the 1960s was in a large manufacturing plant that had a full equipped machine shop and maintenance staff. We fabricated our own machines for making fishing nets from scratch. I got to follow some tradesmen around for a while to learn the ropes (no pun intended). Most had only handtools. Jobs seemed to take less time then one would expect. For example, it was easy for a carpenter to cut a 2x4 in around 4-5 strokes. When we asked someone to do something the normal response was only a smile and the guy was off to get the job done. I think the smile meant that he visualized immediately what he needed and how he would do it because the job was done quickly and properly. Once I mentionned to a millwright that I needed a flywheel puller for my Bultaco (Spanish motorcycle). He offered to make me one which he handed to me the next day.
Moral of the story is someone who knows their stuff and loves their work can do amazing things everyday.
I apologize for my rant but this thread brought back some very pleasant memories.

Back