Am I asking too much of this tool?

Hi, try this shop Mesatool.com in Eagle Point Or. Jim Watson 541 890 1021 I have been using there bars with inserts for many years with no surprises. Lefts, rights, short, long, 3/4", 1/2" and more. Priced right.

What size boring head is it? You can always use the side hole on the head. Put a left hand lathe tool in it and bore away.

Hmmmm....... Those plates look somewhat familiar......

OK, I have to ask the obvious question. Just because I know someone that did it the first time using a boring head.
Were you turning it right way? Using a lathe boring bar requires that the the tool rotate in the opposite direction from what you are used to. It can be hard to overcome the muscle memory turning it on in the wrong direction.

What size boring head is it? You can always use the side hole on the head. Put a left hand lathe tool in it and bore away.
It's a 3" boring head. What you describe is what I wanted to do initially. <Get Smart> I was THIS close</>

Hmmmm....... Those plates look somewhat familiar......
Just wait till I figure out how to use this rotary table. :)

OK, I have to ask the obvious question. Just because I know someone that did it the first time using a boring head.
Were you turning it right way? Using a lathe boring bar requires that the the tool rotate in the opposite direction from what you are used to. It can be hard to overcome the muscle memory turning it on in the wrong direction.
I'm using the bars that came with the head.
Haha. I just realized that I'm using the back position for the bar instead of the front. I've been having to DECREASE the numbers on the dial in order to get a larger hole. But. . . it works.

I like the look of those parts! Waiting on another thread to produce some gears....

I use 12mm lathe inner turning tools and dcmt070204 inserts for my boring head (SDQCR holder). I cut the length of the lathe tool as short as possible for more rigidity. Now this boring bar is cutting pretty well.

Back