Am I asking for trouble

I was thinking the same thing- could you not buy a HF engine hoist and some strapping, and rent a u-haul? Way cheaper I would think
Or, just have PM ship it and buy the hoist? Maybe a come-along too? Seems like anything would be cheaper than a rigger
-M

Last edited:
@Aurelius My basement entrance would be very similar to yours. I slid all my machines down a ramp made from 2 x 6's. I used a tractor for an anchor and a come-along to control the descent down the ramp. The ramp extended far enough at the top that I could load the machine on a level ramp. Once the machine was secured , I could tilt the ramp and then start the descent.

I used pipe rollers to move the machine to the approximate location. A couple of jimmys were also used to walk the machine. I used a variety of methods to lift machines onto stands including a sky hook in the above floor joists and a borrowed engine hoist. All this was done by me alone.

Welcome to HM Aurelius,

I agree with our brethren above. Last year when I bought my Colchester, I called a rigger. He said he would give me a deal and do it for $1,200 - no stairs or tight spaces. I rented a trailer, brought my engine hoist, straps, pipes, come-along, etc, and did it myself. It took most of the day but saved me a lot of money for tooling, etc. If you don't mind saying, what did your rigger quote you?

First thing is a place. If you have the place - dry, stable, etc. - then you can look at a machine.
No matter how close PM is to you, if the machine isn't in stock, you're looking at a wait.
I've been waiting for over a month and am told it will be two more.
Oh, I know it's backordered until probably the end of the summer. It actually has given me the time to figure out important stuff like how it's going to get into the basement and where all the stuff that is currently down there is going to go to make room. ;)

At first I thought, a rigger for an 11x27 lathe??
It is 575 LBS.
Riggers are just so much money!
If you can somehow come up with an alternate plan and spend that money on tooling??
Is your basement access outside? Steep narrow steps going down?
Plenty of HM members have slid their Bridgeports down basement steps on skids.. Cherry picker, pallet jack etc.
Just trying to help.

Aurelius​

Welcome to HM

I'm going to be making calls today and I might be forced to re-evaluate but right now, I don't feel like I could safely get it down the fairly narrow stair without completely screwing up the brand new concrete we did last fall (much less the door way or the lathe itself. Even if I could get it in, there is stil lthe issue of getting it up on the stand and I have fairly low ceilings so I'm not even sure an engine hoist would work. In addition, I don't have an engine hoist so would have to go buy one. I know they are not that expensive but it starts to add up. My thinking was $200 shipping from PM + $50 liftgate service + $200 for a hoist + beer money to bribe people to help starts getting close to what a rigger might cost (or maybe I'm completely ignorant, we'll see).

Oh, I know it's backordered until probably the end of the summer. It actually has given me the time to figure out important stuff like how it's going to get into the basement and where all the stuff that is currently down there is going to go to make room. ;)

I'm going to be making calls today and I might be forced to re-evaluate but right now, I don't feel like I could safely get it down the fairly narrow stair without completely screwing up the brand new concrete we did last fall (much less the door way or the lathe itself. Even if I could get it in, there is stil lthe issue of getting it up on the stand and I have fairly low ceilings so I'm not even sure an engine hoist would work. In addition, I don't have an engine hoist so would have to go buy one. I know they are not that expensive but it starts to add up. My thinking was $200 shipping from PM + $50 liftgate service + $200 for a hoist + beer money to bribe people to help starts getting close to what a rigger might cost (or maybe I'm completely ignorant, we'll see).
Every machine tool move is an event. We all have lots of stories don't we guys!!

I can definitely understand wanting to hire a rigger. If you've got the spondulix and you're not sure if you can do it safely, then I think it's a good idea. I've never hired one, but the worst thing I've had to deal with is a grass lawn and some stone pavers. If I had to move a big machine down some stairs I think I'd absolutely pay someone.

I'm not sure if riggers even are willing to go down stairs? Anyhow I think you are looking at 1500$ or more at least
Maybe call some piano movers and ask if they could do something like a lathe? Tell them the size and weight
-M

What kind of fish is that RJ?
It is a walleye, a member of the percidae family, of which walleye, sauger, and yellow perch are the main members. That fish weighed in at around 5lbs, large for the species but only 1/5th the world record. I usually catch a half dozen or so of this size each year. My personal best is 8 lbs.

All three species are excellent eating. IMO, the best fresh water fish in North America.

I’ll be darned.
Lake, river fishing?
What part of the country if you don’t mind me asking?

Back