[Newbie] am i a hobby machinist?

JBrentMac

Active User
Registered
I'm working as a machinist in a tool shop, and i've been in the trade for a few years. I guess you could say i'm a toolmaker-in-training. I'm working on making some of my own tools to build-up my toolbox on my lunch breaks. i also want to make some simple toys for my kids(trains, cars, tractors, a bank, that kinda old school stuff).
I guess my question is: if i have a passion for doing this, am i a hobby machinist if i don't have a shop in my garage and, so far, am only doing what i've described above?
also, how many of you out there do this for a living and not just a hobby?

yep if you enjoy working with metal your hooked into our club
steve

Well, I don't do this as a hobby, but I am a machinist and have been since I was 15 working part time after school. I am semi-retired, and work on special projects part time in my own shop. I can't recall the last thing I did just for "fun". I enjoy the work, I get paid rather well for what I do, but when I shut down the shop for the day, I generally don't have a yen to go back and play. Maybe when I fully retire. My off-time (is there really such a thing?) is eaten up by other pursuits. One of which also pays pretty well, and that is messing about with Biomedical infrastructure and a few other things at a hospital system that owns 15 hospitals in the region, and about 50 stand-alone clinics. Miscellaneous electrical and mechanical repairs and cable runs, TV installs for upgrades, new construction and remodels. I keep busy enough.

But anyone who uses machines to simply amuse themselves, or make things just because they want to......they're hobby machinists no matter where the machines are.

I'm working as a machinist in a tool shop, and i've been in the trade for a few years. I guess you could say i'm a toolmaker-in-training. I'm working on making some of my own tools to build-up my toolbox on my lunch breaks. i also want to make some simple toys for my kids(trains, cars, tractors, a bank, that kinda old school stuff).
I guess my question is: if i have a passion for doing this, am i a hobby machinist if i don't have a shop in my garage and, so far, am only doing what i've described above?

Welcome Brent-

Great question. I decided to ask everyone: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...are-MACHINISTS-for-a-living?p=77857#post77857

Enjoy the site. We are a FAMILY on here so welcome aboard.

I was another man's employee for a lot of years, but I also had a passion to learn everything about machining.

Hint: No matter how many years you study, there are still things you can learn.

I didn't have a shop of my own until I retired.

If I could still stay on my feet like yesterday.....I'd be out there making something, even in my sleep.:whistle:

Best of luck in your HABIT!

Has a passion for machining:thinking: Be warned, once you enter, you can never leave, its a illness without a cure.:whistle:

It is addicting. Once you learn the trade, there is nothing you can't do. You will get request from friends and family to fix things for them.

If it makes you money its more than a hobby, i was a welder by trade for many ys anywhere from the ship yards to the pipe line to underwater welding. as a welder i came across many machines that intrigued me but the lathe was number one on my list cause it was said a lathe is the only one that can duplicate itself. as a teen i watched my uncle use on in his small shop he was a retired chopper pilot and he could make anything, well i got my sheldon lathe about 3 yrs ago and stared at it for about a month before i got the balls to turn it on lol, ok i got power now what do i do mmm read read ask questions join a site watch videos, well now i can cut threads turn a few tapers of my, liking bushings and things i need. is it a hobby mmm in my book its a adventure:lmao:

I was another man's employee for a lot of years, but I also had a passion to learn everything about machining.

Hint: No matter how many years you study, there are still things you can learn.

I didn't have a shop of my own until I retired.

If I could still stay on my feet like yesterday.....I'd be out there making something, even in my sleep.:whistle:

Best of luck in your HABIT!

Thanks. and i appreciate that line about making things in your sleep. I love the feeling of accomplishment and sometimes i keep myself up at night panning out how i want to make another tool.:think1:
and if that wasn't bad enough- sometimes i dream about it:nuts:

Back