Always breaking parting tools

I use carbide tooling for everything on my lathe, EXCEPT parting.

My keys to successful parting:
1. Sharp tool, as short as possible
2. Tool on center or a whisker below.
3. Keep the feed rate up. If it chatters, feed harder. Keep a nice curl going.
4. Lubrication is important, get the cutting fluid down to where the cutting is happening (gets more difficult as the groove gets deeper).

When I had the business, we gave up on inserted parting tools. Every crash resulted in a trashed blade as well as insert, it just got too expensive.

I use carbide tooling for everything on my lathe, EXCEPT parting.

My keys to successful parting:
1. Sharp tool, as short as possible
2. Tool on center or a whisker below.
3. Keep the feed rate up. If it chatters, feed harder. Keep a nice curl going.
4. Lubrication is important, get the cutting fluid down to where the cutting is happening (gets more difficult as the groove gets deeper).

When I had the business, we gave up on inserted parting tools. Every crash resulted in a trashed blade as well as insert, it just got too expensive.
Same. I like inserts for everything except parting. Its not that I can’t make my own hss cutters, its just a lot easier to replace/turn an insert and keep going. I do try and avoid interrupted cuts with inserts. I find they chip too easily on the interrupts and I have to replace them more often than I’d like.

Same experince with crashes with carbide parting tools. When it goes wrong, it goes wrong big time…

What helped my parting was two things: First, I got a heavier and more HP lathe, and second, advice from Mikey and got an Aloris 71 parting tool and holder with GTN3 inserts. I still find that running the X axis by hand is best, watching the chip and keeping a constant curl coming off. I have not hack- or band-sawed a part off for a long time now.

After many years, my biggest breakthrough with parting has been upside down rear parting.
many threads on this.
i can thank Mikey and others for finally convincing me.

After many years, my biggest breakthrough with parting has been upside down rear parting.
many threads on this.
i can thank Mikey and others for finally convincing me.

I had done that when I used to have a PM-1228LB because that lathe can't part steel directly, and upside down parting worked. But I just figure the Victor would work much better considering it's like 4 times the weight...

I had done that when I used to have a PM-1228LB because that lathe can't part steel directly, and upside down parting worked. But I just figure the Victor would work much better considering it's like 4 times the weight...
My th42 atlas parts 1018 easily and thats only around 300 lbs. its not weight that matters, its rigidity.

As I mentioned, my biggest improvement with parts came when I ditched the top compound and made a steel plinth direct to the cross slide.

See post #32 in this thread

See post #32 in this thread
I recently saw a video of someone using a setup like that... he even had a guide/slot on the bottom plate to minimize any side forces issues...

Found it... it was from Winky's Workshop channel... you can clearly see it at 26:06

Cut-Off tool.jpg
Cut-Off tool-1.jpg

But he also made another one cutting from under...

Are you using wood veneer shims below your parting tool as you discussed in your tool post thread?

Back