Aluminum boat corrosion

As in a spool gun? I only have a suitcase for mig that I use with the portable welder
no sir, you can use a suitcase welder
use a tip the next size up from the wire size you are gonna use to keep the wire from binding
for example use an .035" tip for .030" -5356 wire
the 5356 is softer than the 4043 and will be sufficient for your repairs

I have done MIG of aluminum and do not have a spool gun. The manufacturer of my MIG sells a Aluminum conversion kit, consisting of a Teflon liner to replace the steel liner. and a larger dia cone for more gas flow. They recommend DC reverse polarity, more gas flow of 100% argon, and a lot more power than you would use for the same weld in steel. The Teflon liner is because the steel liner will scuff up the soft AL wire causing bird nesting, the Teflon is also a lot more slippery to also help with birdnesting, the one size bigger tip also helps with birdnesting. You can not leave the Teflon liner in there for steel wire as the steel will quickly wear thru your expensive liner.

If you did not pick it up, yes it will work, Until you get thru the learning curve of setting up the whole wire feed correctly, expect to clear a lot of birds nests of wire. Then there is the learning curve of actually making the weld. It is not hard, just very different from steel. AL does glow with heat so the weld puddle looks very different and it is harder to judge temperature.

What make is the boat? If it is a Gregor, Gregor is still in business in Fresno, CA. Give them a call and you will get straight answers from them on the type of aluminum used and how they weld their boats. They might even have a repair service. Fresno is only a couple hour drive from you.

Back