Alternative uses

TechNova

Registered
Registered
My lathe isn't much, I hope to restore it when I get some time.
I find some unconventional uses for it when building hot rods.
The aluminum oil pan did not allow me to use the ARP bolts that are a theme thru the entire build.
Chucking the bolt and using a file belt tool to reduce the flange diameter followed by finer sanding an polishing does the trick. Chuck spinning, belt tool spinning against the rotation.
IMG_4511[1].JPGIMG_4512[1].JPG

IMG_4516[1].JPGIMG_4517[1].JPGIMG_4518[1].JPG
I also need custom washers. Normal stainless washers do not stay centered on the bolt because of large ID and fender washers are too big on OD. Even SAE washers would not do what I wanted. Searched Fastenal to find a smaller ID with the correct OD. Use lathe bit to square washer in chuck, tighten somewhat lightly, use step drill in cordless drill to enlarge hole. The chuck was stationary, if I pushed drill hard I had to hold chuck with my hand to keep it from spinning so I didn't push hard.
I would like to rig up a mount for the M12 belt tool on the carriage and maybe an m12 abrasive cutoff wheel also.

I had to cut and polish a few bolts that were too long. Normally not a big deal but the cut end of these bolts would show so I wanted a straight cut. I used the abrasive cut off wheel with chuck spinning and beveled with the belt tool before polishing.
Yes, lathe was dirty, alot going on will clean and make a better paint mark on chuck later this week. I use the excuse of 1/2 hour rule for not putting chips in trash last night.

I had to shorten some piston pins for a Briggs & Stratton engine. I have an adapter I made to hold an air die grinder in my QCTP. I mounted a cutoff wheel on the die grinder and zipped off the extra, then beveled the corners with a stone in a Dremel. Quick and easy.

It is a good idea to throw a rag over the ways when grinding. It keeps the abrasive dust from getting on the ways and other parts. Use a fire-resistant material if possible, since sparks can catch things on fire.

Back