Allison Lathe?

If you want to do threading on it, you may need to dig up different size change gears for it. The ad doesn't mention including any change gears.

And it's the same with my lathe that I inherited from my dad. It's a Force International 1440, googling only told me that House of Tools (long since it went out of business) used the name as a house brand. It works reasonably well, just no information about it. There is an old-timer working at the Busy Bee Tools store that also has a F.I. lathe, that I've been pestering for information about it, but he's my only source of info.

I would treat it like any other machine. If you can inspect it before bidding and it isn't clapped out, and the price is right give it a go. If you find it to not be what you want, pass it on, maybe at a profit. Mike

Looks like a nice lathe more than adequate for home shop activities, although like all second hand machines depends on condition of the head stock gearing But as I always say to folks who want a lathe for the home shop and they get picky on details, "Are we home shop guys making things for a hobby or sub contracting to NASA or British Aerospace or similar , with gee whiz tolerances or tight production deadlines, It is only a hobby for goodness sake"

If you go back during the night and look through the auctioneers window in the dark, and it is glowing green l it is good old Roswell , I feel another conspiracy theory coming on !

If you order 20 or more machines,the Taiwan or Chinese factory will put ANY NAME on the machine that you want.

I was told that by a machine dealer's chief mechanic in Newport News,Va. years ago.

I saw that name(Roswell,it has been stated),on the lathe. But,I couldn't make it out yesterday. What kind of a name is that to put on a lathe? But then,what kind of a silly name is GRIZZLY?

I think the change gear will be mounted under the cover as an "extra" on one shaft. The odd brand does not bother me, how the lathe functions would be the question, maybe there is some contact information in the add. If no information on function of the lathe bid accordingly, and if a "cream puff" slips through your hands, there will be another down the line.

You are right,Jim: The front ways are like on a LeBlonde(except those were removable and replaceable). However,this is an unusual,and useful feature for any lathe.

Back