Allison Lathe?

Keith Foor

Registered
Registered
Found an Allison lathe for sale at an auction. Should I be interested or run like hell from it.
I can find zero info on it.

Did you take a picture of the lathe?
Sure it wasn't a Axelson lathe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Looks like another Asian lathe to me. But,many modern lathes look similar. It has a typical looking tailstock,and a VERY narrow carriage that could WELL BE WIDER. Narrow carriages are easier to twist a bit under cutting forces. Of course Harrison lathes had rather narrow carriages. But they still looked more substantial than this one. Typical looking steady rest,too. Lucky to get that. Probably you'll never find a follower rest.

For a home shop lathe though,I'm sure this one would be fine,IF you don't need spare parts,which,in the never ending MAZE of Asian machine makers,might never be found. I couldn't even get SHARP,a GOOD Asian maker,to correctly identify one of their OWN lathes!! Had to make the needed parts!

I can't find a thing either. Looks like a pretty substantial lathe. Looks like a Mori-Seiki​

It has a typical looking tailstock,and a VERY narrow carriage that could WELL BE WIDER.

George double click on the end view picture on the auction site and look again at the ways. The carriage ways are huge and much wider than the tailstock and steady rest ways. Angled like a Graziano or a Mori.

If you double click the last picture is says Roswell New Mexico USA on the lathe

plus - A can't find tool post holder that goes upwards $500 used. Multifix tool post.

Yes that is the lathe. And that is my concern. I can find NOTHING of this lathe, the manufacture or anything.
Now I am familiar with Allison that made aircraft and tank engines during the war. They now build heavy duty truck automatic transmissions.
Don't know if it's the same company or not. And then again, it could be someones elses lathe that has a name plate on it. I recently saw a Cadillac lathe, which is a import with a real fancy name plate

But that's the girl. Should I bid, forget, or run like hell?

Back