Allen Bradley Reversing Starter Info. Needed

dwall174

Registered
Registered
I have an old 13" South Bend turret lathe that I've been working on rebuilding & I'm trying to figure out how I want to wire the motor up.
The motor is a 3PH 240V 2-speed dual-winding motor & I would like to make use of both speeds in fwd. & rev.

When I first looked inside the original power disconnect enclosure and seen THIS MESS, I knew that I was going to totally rewire the lathe.

Originally, I was thinking of running it off of a VFD!
However, from what I've read on-line it's recommended to run this type of motor on just the high-speed windings. :confused:

During my searches I found a couple of VFD'S that have two separate sets of motor parameters, so it would be possible to set one up for each set of windings. However, I've also read that it generally not recommended to have a switch or contactor/starter placed in-between the VFD & motor?

I do have a 5HP DIY RPC so I could always run the high-speed off of a VFD & then run the low-speed from the RPC. :rolleyes:
But somehow that sounds like an accident waiting to happen. :eek:

Probably the best solution would be to just wire the lathe up to several starters with the coils controlled by pushbuttons or switches.

This is where I'm looking for some more information on the AB line of starters, mainly the reversing starters with the mechanical interlock set-up.
I have several AB-509 starters & matching relays on hand that I picked up from a local on-line auction so naturally I would like to use AB starters since I'll have extra parts if needed.
AB Starters & Relays .jpg
Looking on e-bay I see a bunch of the AB-505 style reversing starters & only a few of the two-speed AB-520 style starters.
The 520's I've seen seem to be grossly over-priced o_O
Is there anything really different in the 505 reversing starters & the 520 two-speed starters other than the extra relay?

Doug

Years ago, I added a 2 speed motor to my 19" Regal Leblond Lathe, we just used a 2 speed reversing drum switch by Furnas Electric Co.

I suspect you have a Dahlander pole changing two speed motor.
I have that type on my PBR lathe.
It uses four three-pole contactors to implement the two speed reversing setup.

I would be happy to share my wiring diagram with you.

You could save yourself a lot of work and have the bonus of variable speed by jettisoning all the old contactors/starters and install a vfd instead
That's what I would do. Wire the motor for high speed and leave it there, and you'll have modern electronics with a vintage machine. Best of both worlds
-Mark

we just used a 2 speed reversing drum switch by Furnas Electric Co.
Yeah, I believe a Furnas JED Style 4 is what South Bend use to use.
s-l1600.jpgFrunas JED4 .jpg
I searched the web for several months & I only found a couple but like those two-speed starters I mentioned before, they were outrageously expensive. :eek:

I did find a AB version of the Furnas, but it was only rated for a maximum 3/4HP motor. I need a controller capable of handling a 1HP low ~ 2HP high motor.

Doug

I suspect you have a Dahlander pole changing two speed motor.
Nope it's a dual winding motor! It has 6-wires that are labeled T1 / T2 / T3 & T11 / T12 / T13 and the two sets of wires are electrically isolated from each other.
IMG_8011.JPG
I get continuity between T1 / T2 / T3 with a resistance of 2.4 ohm's & a resistance of 3.4 ohm's between T11 / T12 / T13, There's no continuity between the two groups of wires.

Doug

You could save yourself a lot of work and have the bonus of variable speed by jettisoning all the old contactors/starters and install a vfd instead
Like I mentioned above, that's what I originally thought of.

Wire the motor for high speed and leave it there, and you'll have modern electronics with a vintage machine. Best of both worlds
Well, I'm not an electrical engineer! But I can't believe with an old-style motor, I would be able to get the same low-end torque with a VFD as I would with the low-speed windings.

Now if I were to sell the 2-speed dual winding motor & get a newer-style inverter duty rated motor I could see where a VFD would be a good benefit.

Doug

It uses four three-pole contactors to implement the two speed reversing setup.
I would be happy to share my wiring diagram with you.
Although the wiring to the motor will probably be a little different than what I need, the basic control circuit may be pretty similar?

I'll send you a PM with my e-mail which may be better to send the diagram.

Doug

Here are my files

Attachments

• PBR - Wiring Diagram - Original.pdf
    50.6 KB · Views: 5
  • PBR WITH NEW VFD - Rev 3.pdf
    146 KB · Views: 1
  • PBR-WESCO-Wiring Diagram.pdf
    46.6 KB · Views: 3
Back