Aligning a mini-lathe

Re-did the measurements after cutting with a TCGT carbide tool. I got a better surface finish on the aluminum, less grooving.

I really wasn't happy with the finish that I was getting with the HSS. I think I managed to get a bad lot of steel. The edges micro-fracture after a short time, and give a bad finish. I looked at the edge, which I know was really nice and it has some really tiny defects in it now. I have a few pieces of cobalt steel that aren't from that lot, maybe I'll grind another tool.

With the TCGT tool and a recut, I am getting 1.939635" average at the tailstock and 1.939170" average at the headstock. This means the tailstock measurement is 4.65 tenths larger than the headstock. I am more confident in this measurement than the previously reported on, because 1) had more practice, 2) remembered to lock the mic, 3) took more measurements, and 4) the standard deviation of the measurements was quite low. (0.000087" for the TS, 0.000095" for the HS). In any case, the measurement is pretty close to post #44. (4.2 tenths vs 4.65 tenths).

Still waiting for the level to show up... Might make another try at reducing the error, although suspect that the HS is up against the rails at this point. Not quite sure how or where to safely remove metal to get a little more movement. Nor do I want to induce any vertical error..

Back